Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Had Arthroscopy 19 months ago, knee worse, surgeon suggests another  (Read 869 times)

SassyD

Hi,
I've never posted on here before but I have had such a dreadful time with my knee I wondered if anyone had any comments or advice - it would be brilliant to hear from anyone who has gone through something similar or who has any advice
I had a car accident 3 1/2 years ago and suffered whiplash, back and knee pain. I had had no pain or problems before the accident. Apart from the knee pain all have pretty much recovered. My knee pain was initially mis-diagnosed as soft tissue damage but when it failed to improve my GP referred me to a consultant who, after an MRI, told me that I had a medial meniscal tear which would require surgery. Pre-op my knee pain was intermittent, occasional sharp stabbing pain and my knee gave way, however since the operation 19 moths ago my knee has been getting gradually worse so that now the distance that I can walk is severly limited and I am in constant pain.
For the first few months after the operation my knee slowly improved but never was it as good as it had been pre-op. After about 6 months it began to worsen and the pain increase until my GP had to prescribe anti- inflammatories and co-dydramol. My consultant recommended a course of physiotherapy whilst at the same time informing me that I had stage 3 arthritis in my knee (not mentioned at all before). I started my course of phsio but my condition worsened and my physio decided that a course of hydrotherapy would be best. I completed this course but there was still no improvement. By this time I had been on my anti-inflammatories for 6 months and my GP (and I) thought that I should come off them (not a very pleasant process).
I had asked my surgeon on several occasions for another MRI but he said it wasn't necessary as the surgery had been a success! He then suggested a course of 3 synvisc injections, however after the final injection I had an allergic reaction, was unable to walk and was admitted to hospital to drain my knee whilst they checked it wasn't infected. Back to square one. By this point I was really depressed, in constant pain, unable to walk, limping all the time and fearful for my future employablility. I am freelance Stage Manager and my job relies on me being completely mobile and can involve standing for the whole day on a hard studio floor. In addition my 6 year old is uterrly fed up at having an immobile Mum who can't run in the park!
A couple of months ago I started a lower limb physiotherapy clinic at the hospital but was advised to stop half way through  as it was causing me too much pain. My consultant is unwilling to perform any form of knee replacement because of my age (49) and so referred me for another MRI. I am unhappy this was not done before as the results show another tear at the back of my knee and also a cyst. He has now booked me in for an ultrasound to have the cyst drained and has recommended that I then have a further arthroscopy to repair the second tear and check for any other debris (?).
I just am not sure what to do - I have been so disappointed after my first arthroscopy, no-one mentioned at any point that it might not work and very naively it never occurred to me that I might come out of it in a far worse state than I went in. I find myself unable to believe that another operation will remove the pain that I suffer every day. I don't know how much of the considerable pain I have is attributable to the arthritis and whether an operation would make that worse? However I can't go on like this, the pain is exhausting and things will, I guess, only get worse if left untreated.

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Had Arthroscopy 19 months ago, knee worse, surgeon suggests another
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »
If the same guy wants to cut you again, I'd get a second opnion and maybe a third before I let somebody do that.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline greyliston

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about your failed operation. I am right there with you. I am 26, when I was 25 I had a scope done and I also naively thought there was no way to come out worse and that I could trust my doctor.

I came out much worse off than I was before. I waited 1 year before I had another scope done to possibly correct what was wrong. Now after the 2nd scope I am much worse off.

I would very thoroughly explore your options before having another surgery done.
2010 - Failed LR
2011 - Failed LR lengthening
2011 - TTT, LPFLr, MPFLr

Offline Chronickneeissues

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:55:25 AM »
I am sorry to hear this. I hope everything gets better for you soon.

support