Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Failed PFJR - Revision or TKR?  (Read 5558 times)

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
Failed PFJR - Revision or TKR?
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
I am 38 and had PFJR last fall which has not been effective for me.  I continue to have pain 95% of time (even at rest) and have swelling every day.  I cannot walk w/out limp and should use cane/crutch but am a bit too proud/stubborn for my own good.  I have some minimal catching/popping when walking.  Interestingly my ROM is great.  I am still working on quad as it is not as strong as other leg. 
My OS is unresponsive and only wants to give me more meds, and I don't want more than I am already taking.  He wants to wait until I'm 1 year out and scope the knee.  I will not be doing this as I believe it will be waste of time.  I am considering going to Hospital for Special Surgery or Dr. Grelsamer @ Mt. Sinai in NYC to discuss either revision PJFR or TKR (which I really don't want to do yet).  Current OS in Philly area and I will never go back as he has not been supportive in any way with my post-op problems.
Anyone out there have similar experience?  Posts I have read all seem really positive for PJFR so I feel a bit odd with this result.  Thank you for any feedback you might give.

Warm wishes
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Failed PFJR - Revision or TKR?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:18:47 PM »
It may be that the PFJR did not address the root of your pain problems.  A second opinion would not be amiss here.  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »
Hi.

I read through some of your older posts and I know the OS you have in the Philly area...All I will say is I had a very bad experience with him and he was a complete ass with me.  I agree with TwobadkneesUSA that another opinion is a fantastic idea.  If you are interested I can suggest 2 very good Philly OS's that deal with PFJR and PF issues - They are the OS's that did my PFJR's (one in 2009 and the other scheduled for 01-10-12)

Best of luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:31:25 PM »
Karen, Hi and thank you -I would love any suggestions, and my hubby would love to never go back to NYC.  He liked Philly, so would be better for his role.  Yes, JL has been a complete ass since I started not doing well -was a doll before surgery.  Only reason I am still in contact with him is because I need pain meds.  I feel like going to him was worst decision I ever made. -He actually told me it might take 5 years to feel better at my last visit, as if I would "wait" that long to get better.  I could go on for hrs, so must stop myself.  I am glad you avoided him and wish you a speedy recovery.  I am hoping to have whatever I need near that same time-have to accrue PTO at work before I can afford to go out again.  Thanks again!
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
FRM - I am going to send you a Private Message with the names of the OS's along with practice information/Phone Numbers.  I will also include my email address.  Please let me know if there is any other information I can give that might be helpful. 

Best of luck!
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:18:18 PM »
Karen -thanks for the info.  Best of luck to you as well
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline snorunner

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
Karen and Milly are right on....hope you can find the right person to help you. Don't give up hope just yet. Scar tissue can cause some nasty pain and problems and are a separate issue from the implants. So a scope might be the right thing with the right doctor. Waiting 5 years is just nuts. Although I find I am still improving two years out. But severe pain is not right. Good luck!
Chondromalacia dx age 14
1987 dx: malalignment, condromalacia, maltracking
2/2008 Gr. 2/3 OA L&R knees
3/2009 Gr. 4 severe isolated patellofemoral OA L&R
4/09 Hyalgan injections
8/24/09 PFJR and LR left knee
2/5/10 Left scope/debridement
2/22/10 PFJR and LR right knee

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:38:56 PM »
Thanks.  Due to recent events it will be at least a year before I can even think about being assessed by another OS.  We had extensive flooding (though are lucky as we still have our home) and lost a lot.  Waiting for FEMA to see if they will help.  In meantime no hot water for 4 more days.  On positive note laundry might get moved up from basement when we can get new.  Overwhelmed and sick to boot, knee taking 3rd place these days though screaming for relief, have to ignore it as best as I can.
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline rescurolf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
So sorry to hear about the flooding..I live just outside of Nashville, Tn and we experienced a similar flood last year that everyone is still recovering from.....on the knee issue, I had a PFR almost 6 months ago and have more pain now than before surgery and my OS is not being very responsive...my rheumatologist who referred me to the OS thinks that no question it should have been a TKR and that the tibial portion not replaced is the problem.....I had my other knee which wasn't as bad done (PFR) last yr and it is great.....seems like the OS is more worried about his statistics of having to do an early revision or total than the amount of pain and disability that I experience....believe me, I feel your pain and I hope you get some relief some.....hang in there

support