Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT coming up in the next couple of months  (Read 1659 times)

Offline sy5gtt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TTT coming up in the next couple of months
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:17:51 AM »
Hi Folk's.

I'm Simon and have joined up pre-op for advice and info, hope you don't mind.

I'm having TTT on my left knee soon and wanted any info regarding recovery time.

I work in a factory and am on my feet all day, any estimate's on how long I'll be off for?

Also driving, When can I do this again?

I have a few things planned around this time and just wanted to know if I can carry on or should I cancel.

I know everyone is different but, some sort of idea would be great.

Many Thanks.  :)

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: TTT coming up in the next couple of months
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
Hi Simon,
I'm approximately 9 weeks post op for my left knee (Fulkerson TTT and MCL/LCL repair). I pretty much stayed in bed or on the couch with my leg up for the first 2 weeks and really only got up to go to the bathroom or PT. After that I went back to work but used a wheelchair rather than crutches because it was easier (I was getting too tired using crutches and I was incredibly slow. Also, I work at a library so trying to carry books while on crutches and non-weight-bearing would be a bit difficult). At 4 weeks was when I was allowed to start working on getting my range of motion back (hard but not too bad as long as you take it slow but also push yourself) and was allowed to leave the brace unlocked to sleep. At six weeks I was allowed to sleep without the brace and put approximately 1/3 of my weight on my leg. It was around 6 weeks that I was able to drive again (automatic car) because I could finally bend my leg enough to be able to sit in the front seat and was relying more on the crutches at that point than the wheelchair for work (if you drive an standard shift car, my PT told me that unless I could crush a can with only my left foot while sitting I would not be allowed to drive standard). By 7 weeks I was allowed to leave the brace unlocked 24/7 and put 2/3 of my weight on it. And by 8 weeks I was able to wean myself off crutches for the most part and am finally out of the full leg brace I've been wearing for eight weeks. Right now I'm waiting for my new knee brace to come in and continuing to get my leg back to full strength.
Already I can notice the difference as I walk around. While my knee occasionally tries to give out it's not trying to dislocate nearly as badly as it was pre-op (5+ times a day pre-op  for dislocating/trying to dislocate versus my knee occasionally deciding for a second that it can't quite handle my weight) (also difference between knee trying to go sideways (pre-op) and bending forward (post-op) because the muscles aren't quite strong enough yet.
As for when you can go back to work, I'd say it will definitely depend on how your knee does because everyone heals differently but my guess is that since you're on your feet all day it might be best to wait until 8 or 9 weeks when you're off crutches and can walk/stand on your own. Do you have to move around a lot or are you just standing in place at work? If you're just standing at a station or something see if you can bring in a stool to sit on so that you can rest your knee. If you can, try asking your OS what he thinks as far as when you can go back to work and drive.
Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery!
~Cathy

Offline sy5gtt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
Hi Cathy and thanks for the reply.

I will not be allowed to go to work on crutches as health and safety rules don't allow this. Also do need to move around while at work. What sort of knee brace are you waiting for? How long until you don't need one at all?

I guess the concert in mid October is out now  :(

Simon.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
I don't know where the concert is, but call the venue and explain the situation and ask to be in the disabled area with a chair.  I did this after one of my scopes :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »
The brace I'm waiting for is a Bledsoe 20.50 Patellofemoral brace. I can technically go without a brace at all at this point because I have the doctor's okay but I didn't/don't feel comfortable going from a full leg brace that let my leg muscles go on vacation to no brace at all. I can walk and am encouraged to do so but my PT said that I shouldn't do more than the equivalent of 5 miles on any given day if possible.
I agree with Vickster on the concert. Having knee surgery shouldn't automatically tell you that you can't go. If you can go and sit in a chair I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to go and enjoy it. You might also want to bring something to rest your leg on since you might not be able to sit comfortably with it bent at that point (if you're even allowed to work on bending it by the time of the concert).
When are you having your surgery?
As for work, talk to your doctor about when he thinks you'll be able to go back. It will mostly depend on how your body decides to react to the surgery and how long your knee decides it needs to heal. You definitely don't want to rush the healing process if you can help it.

Offline sy5gtt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
Ok so have a date now. 22nd November which means all my plans are ok but, I'll be in a cast over Xmas and have  3 months to wait/limp around  :(

My procedure is Athroscopically-assited Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy with distalisation and possible modifed insole procedure.

I'm assuming it's the same as a TTT?

Sorry about any spelling but I have copied the surgeon's letter so blame him.  :)

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:09:40 AM »
TTT is short for Tibial Tuberosity Transfer (and my doctor also referred to it as an osteotomy). Arthroscopically-assissted probably means that you won't have a large a scar since arthroscopes are really small. Not sure if they plan to do all of it with those or not (something your OS would know). As for the distalisation and possible insole procedure I don't know what they are but my doctor never really took the time to explain what he was going to do to my knee because I wasn't in his office when I finally made the decision to have it (long story). I would suggest asking your OS for details if you're nervous/curious. Some of the other people on this board might know too since many of them have been here longer. I'm going to guess that what you're having is a version of a TTT (there are several types mentioned online and I'm sure different OS have different procedures too). Being in a cast in the winter isn't too bad because it keeps your leg warm and is at least better than summer when you want to be outside enjoying the warmth (and baking in a black full leg brace or cast is not the ideal way to spend a summer). Being on crutches in the winter however is not fun. Ice and crutches do not mix. Make sure to take your time when getting around outside and then again when you're inside because if the floor is wet, chances are the crutches will still try to slide out from under you. :/ Good luck with the three month wait!

Offline sy5gtt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply/info  ;D

I'm hoping I can get redundancy due to this and the nature of my current job, then get a sit down job (and a new car  :D)

support