Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post-TTT: I think I can feel my screw or bone graft?! HELP!  (Read 1663 times)

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post-TTT: I think I can feel my screw or bone graft?! HELP!
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:55:52 AM »
So, I just got out of my full leg brace on Friday and I've been experimenting with braces a bit to see what I will take with me on my study abroad to Japan. But now I'm really nervous because it seems like any other brace I try feels like it puts too much pressure on the spot where the screws and all are, and hurts after awhile. I've noticed since the surgery 2.5 finger widths below my kneecap is a small area that feels hard and slightly raised. Well, now it feels more raised than before. I'm worried that maybe one of my screws is trying to work it's way out. The problem is this: I leave for Japan on the 29th of this month! I feel like if the screw was trying to come out it would hurt more but I could be wrong. I'm thinking that if it's still like this by tomorrow afternoon or so I'll call the doctor and see what he says but I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas.
Thanks,
Cathy

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Post-TTT: I think I can feel my screw or bone graft?! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »
I doubt if the screw is coming out unless you've got a lot more pain. I have three screws in my foot. I can "feel" where they end, and over one spot there has always been a large residual lump of swelling and it feels kind of bonier. Mine were done in April this year and unless they cause issues when I walk they'll stay in. I think sometimes the scar tissue and the bone over hardware doesn't feel the same as just normal bone/skin. I wonder if the pressure from the braces is just creating a bit of swelling over that spot? Others with TTTs may be able to help more than me!

It is worth checking though with your imminent trip. You don't want your hardware popping out on the plane! I'd probably give the doctor a call and perhaps he might run an X-ray to check. I had an X-ray two weeks post op as I'd got some issues, it was far safer to make sure nothing was shifting!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
over one spot there has always been a large residual lump of swelling and it feels kind of bonier

I wonder if this is maybe what I'm feeling. It doesn't hurt to push on it but it does feel kind of bony. I'll see how it does today and go from there. Thanks for your reply.

~Cathy

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:24:20 AM »
I was always able to feel a bump where my TTT screw was. I've had my screw out now and I can still feel a bump down there. It's pretty normal to not like anything putting pressure on that area. Did your OS do any x-rays at your followup to check your bone healing before letting you out of the brace? They can see screw position on those x-rays and would be able to tell if the screw was backing out.

Do you really need a brace now that you're out of your big one? Usually, PT is done to strengthen your muscles and no brace is necessary. But your OS and PT could tell you for sure.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 04:50:09 AM »
I can feel the bump where both my screws and bone are now. They are both very sensitive over that entire area.
If it is causing pain I would get it checked if it doesn't hurt it is probably fine, but if you are concerned check with your OS.
Smillie is dead on about the screw positioning.
When in doubt check with the professionals.
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »
When I was in on Friday he pressed on that area for a bit in different spots and asked if it hurt at all. When I told him no he said that he didn't want to put me through more xrays than absolutely necessary (I've already had way to many) and said that it seemed fine to him. It wasn't until later when I put on one of my pre-op braces while waiting for my new one that it began to hurt. I wore it for a few hours and the pressure from the straps ended up being so uncomfortable and sore that I had to take it off. It stayed sore for at least an hour after that. I added foam padding beneath the straps the next day and that helped a lot until the foam flattened... So I discontinued that one for now and tried a soft brace with a gel patella support in it. That worked for a while too but then my knee rejected that one too. I'm hoping my new brace won't hurt.
I still need a brace because I'm still working on building up the muscle and it sometimes has trouble supporting me. I can't really go back to the hinged full leg brace because I have to wear a sleeve under it to avoid an allergic reaction to the material. Also, my kneecap still needs help staying in place because while it's much better than pre-op, even when standing I can move it around way to easily. After dealing with a very unstable knee for almost half of my life the idea of going straight from a full leg brace that lets my muscles go on vacation to nothing scares me. Especially since I leave on Monday to study abroad for a year and if I hurt me knee badly I'll have to come home early.
I am glad to know that maybe the bump I'm feeling is normal.
Thank you all for responding too.