Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: no knee cap  (Read 547 times)

Offline gillcullinane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
no knee cap
« on: August 21, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
i had my knee cap removed in 1991 and since then my life has been hell with it,i cant run not even trot i cant walk fast cant walk in snow ice wet weather, ive had so many falls and torn ilgaments i forgot how many times,im now in a cast as i fell 2 weeks ago and torn ligaments again,i dont understand why i didnt have a new knee cap? im really fed up. im almost 50 now and its getting worse. any advice. oh and the physio told me my quad muscle has deteriaited so much it could never be restored. please help gill

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: no knee cap
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »
Sorry to hear that you have got to such a desperate state - I'd fire the physio though for being so darned negative, if I were you. It is their job to re-educate the muscle tissue so that it starts firing again and then you can work on restoring some functionality slowly but surely.

The quad can be restored to functionality but it takes time and patience from you but more especially from the PT. It also requires them to be able to find the appropriate measures to bring this about. I had a similar problem in the late 80s/early 90s when my quad withered away to literally nothing whilst stuck in plaster for 3 months. It took time but I got there the hard part was getting going, once the tissue was firing again, I put in a lot of work on my own but was always supported by my physiotherapists.

As for the lack of a patella, try searching for threads on the topic, the technical term is a patellalectomy or something similar. When you find some topics, take a look at the date of the last post to see how recent the activity is. You can buzz the original poster or maybe the person who answers with the best suggestions for you by either sending a private message (you will need 20 posts before you get that right though) or simply by posting on the thread asking for help with your particular problem. There are also some topics and medical terms explained in the Information Hub which may be useful to you.

It does help to state where you are in the world as people on here are literally from all over the globe. The site owner is British-based, but as long as you can communicate in English there are no geographical limitations whatsoever.

Good luck, we are a very supportive group on the whole, but do not expect too many answers too soon. Although we have a large membership, the actual numbers of active participants is relatively small at any one time. The summer months are always slow for some reason or another, probably because people are distracted by the nice weather and enjoy themselves as much as they can by being outside.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee