Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee surgery Thurdays, tibial plateau frature  (Read 822 times)

Offline dougeee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee surgery Thurdays, tibial plateau frature
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:48:43 AM »
Tore my knee up going down some stairs saturday night. Started icing right away. Went to the ER monday when pain overruled my bad judgement.  Popping pills now a my emotions are all over the place. Either I'm sad or angry. I've never broke a bone in my life. I'm 42 YO.  Really worried about operation. Doctor told me about all the things that could go wrong and that it could be 4 to 6 month recoup time. Would like to here from any one who went through this type of surgery. I don't have insurrance so it'all on me.  Can I do my own rehab at home. Any tips would be great.  Thanks  Doug

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Knee surgery Thurdays, tibial plateau frature
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:03:23 AM »
Sorry for the difficulties Dougee,
Try and post down the board on Bone breaks around the knee. (Scroll down until you see the heading)  They are a great group and I am sure they can answer a lot of your questions.
Take Care, and Hang in there!!
Rknees4.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:22:19 AM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Knee surgery Thurdays, tibial plateau frature
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Hi Dougee = welcome to the wonderful world of TPFs.  Sorry you had to join us.
Facing the surgery is scary, but I'm sure you'll do fine.  When I had mine I remember talking to the surgeon as he "autographed" my knee and the next time I remember was my boyfriend sitting by my bed reading the paper. 
As for no insurance, make sure to talk to the hospital social worker, they can help you get all the resources you need, like a raised toilet seat, walker and crutches.  I used a walker while NWB since I was a menace on crutches.  While you're in the hospital ask to speak to a physical therapist and get a "routine" from them for your first few weeks.  If possible have someone with you when you speak to them so they can take notes.
Unfortunately the 4-6 month projection is true.  Recovery from this injury is complex.  Regaining ROM and extension are important to walking correctly in the future.  You can do your rehab by yourself, but if you can, once you become weight-bearing again "buy" a session or two with a good sports PT to make sure you're on the right track.
Here's the link to the TPF section of this sight.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=21.0
also take a look at mybrokenleg.com in the discussion area - you'll find lots of support there
Good luck on Thursday
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp