Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL, MCL, & Meniscus Tears and ROM  (Read 709 times)

Offline Darlene Kennedy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL, MCL, & Meniscus Tears and ROM
« on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »
I suffered a bad fall on my bicycle 7 June.  I was placed in a splint for over eight weeks.  Week nine I was put in a mobility splint and sent off to P/T.  After four weeks of physical therapy I only have 40 degrees ROM. I am told I cannot have surgery to repair the ACL until ROM is at a minimum 90 degrees.  I'm concerned that despite the hard work I'm not recovering properly. 

I've only been seen by general ortho docs. During my follow-up visit yesterday my ortho told me he has never seen anyone with this type of injury lose complete ROM and that he wants me to try a JAS splint. He mentioned that putting me under and manipulating the knee is an option but it could cause additional injury to the knee.

I'm worried that at almost three months, I've had not significant progress and my doctor is not providing the best advice.  I've finally made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor where our pro football team goes.

Any thoughts, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
Re: ACL, MCL, & Meniscus Tears and ROM
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
Great idea, you are a lot smarter than I am.  It took me 12 surgeries and years in a wheelchair to finally understand the difference between a general OS and a sports medicine orthopedic doctor.  The one I will be seeing for the first visit next week is one the doctors for The Washingn Redskins.  It was actually the Chairman of the Dept. of Orthopedics at John Hopkins who suggested I see a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. When he described the differences in training and orientation it sounded good.

I am in a wheelchair, cannot walk, drive etc, and wish I went that route earlier.  Just remember that you can always see others too, but it seems like you are thinking on your feet and understand that you cannot always rely on one doctor.  I would not push it with the knee until I see this new doctor, as with your type of injury and the natural restriction in ROM you have now you could do a lot of damage.  I suggest you go slow until you get the consult.  Good luck

Good luck

Offline sanjiv

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: ACL, MCL, & Meniscus Tears and ROM
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
I can 100% relate to your frustration with getting ROM back.  I had a bad fall skiing and completely severed my MCL, PCL, ACL, and had a little meniscus damage.  Like you, my leg was immobilized, but only for 4 weeks in a locked brace, not a splint.  It seems like MCL injuries just go hand in hand with slow painful PT to get back ROM.  Six weeks after my MCL was stitched back together I was only at 50 degrees, by week 10 I got to 80 degrees, but after that progress just stopped.  In the end I did need to have an MUA on week 13 (and scoping to remove scar tissue).  After the procedure, my OS told me there was a large quantity of scar tissue in there, and after he removed it he bent my leg to 120 degrees (and sent me a video from the operating room).  I had already obtained and immediately started using a Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) machine, pretty much around the clock for the first few days after the MUA.  The good news is that I now bend to 120-130 degrees and am scheduled for my ACL reconstruction next week :)

Going to see a sports medicine OS who works with a local pro sports team is a great idea.  My OS works with the Baltimore Orioles, and he's really great.  A few things I would bring up with him are getting an MRI if I didn't already have one, if there's a time limit on when I would most benefit from a scoping and MUA if I eventually need one, and if a CPM machine will help me now.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
1/29/11 PCL, ACL, MCL complete tears + meniscus partial tear
2/15/11 Repair MCL, PCL allograft, meniscus repair
5/17/11 Scoping & MUA
8/30/11 ACL allograft

support