Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Donjoy Armor Action Extreme - Fitting Issue Help  (Read 1413 times)

Offline alexknight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Donjoy Armor Action Extreme - Fitting Issue Help
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Hi

Not sure if this is the best room to post in but hope someone can help please.

I bought a Donjoy Armor Action Extreme knee brace after much digging around for information on the best brace for me. I tried it out in a game of hockey (field hockey on astro turf) and have to say it felt good.

My issue is how tight do you need to do the straps as I keep straining my calf muscle!

I was lucky size wise with a medium as the smallest measurement for the medium was pretty much exactly my measurements so the brace could well have been made just for me. With the knee pads fitting snugly against my knee either side.

Im just wondering how tight other people do up their straps?

I have a partial tear of my ACL and minor tear of my PCL so on my brace I have all the straps.

Hope someone might be able to help/give some advice

Many thanks

Alex

Offline Hoover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Donjoy Armor Action Extreme - Fitting Issue Help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
Hi Alex
  the best fitment of the braces I have had....make the muscle were the strap goes tight (engaged) and then tighten the brace strap ever so slightly tighter.....one of my PT people was also a athelitc trainer and he really helped with fitment....... 8) 8) 8) 8)

Brian

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Donjoy Armor Action Extreme - Fitting Issue Help
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
I have found that in high-pressure areas like the strap that goes just below the bend of the knee, a bit of extra thick padding can make all the difference, as it has some give that the pads it comes with don't, so it can conform to the way your muscle shape is just a little better, and allows for the way the tendons bow there. I like the fake sheepskin or a few layers of polar fleece from the fabric store, buying a quarter length and then cutting smaller units of the size I need gives me several pieces to swap out, and wash, or just toss if they get too worn.

Not everyone has the same "shape" at points like joint bends where they want these straps to fit, and sometimes you gotta get a little creative to have it tight enough to stay put, but not bind on a tendon at the same time - I have found that happen to me because the pad is too dense as is, so I put the "fluffier" material on top of it and it solved the problem.

Just a thought.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support