Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scarring from scope  (Read 1259 times)

Offline dc-girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Scarring from scope
« on: August 18, 2011, 02:42:18 AM »
Ok, so I already posted a topic about recovery time but forgot to ask, whats the scarring like?

Does it ever close up enough that you don't see a scar or will there be scars from all three pinpoints from the arthroscope?

Thanks again everyone.

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Scarring from scope
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:53:55 AM »
Hi DC,
I had my first scope 3 weeks ago and already my incisions are closing up nicely ...     I've heard people say, who've had the scope a year or two back that they sometimes can't remember which knee had the scope even when looking at it...   I guess everyone varies, but I think there's a good chance you won't have any noticeable scar after some time.

Best of luck to you!
torn meniscus

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
I'm a year out from ACL reconstruction, and the two small scars from the scope instruments are barely even visible. My third scar is bigger (for an ACL reconstruction they use that one to harvest the hamstring and do the bone drilling) - it's about an inch and a half long, but even that one has faded enough that it's barely noticeable unless you look closely. The scar I have in the centre of that knee from falling over a tennis net when I was a kid is actually more obvious than any of my surgery scars. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
I have 4 scope scars - from 2 scopes as the second surgeon didn't use the old holes (not sure why, guess they just weren't where he likes them).  You can see them up close still (after 16 months and 9 months approx), however I wouldn't get hung up on them.

Each one is around 7mm across, one is like a little cross and one has a small spot above it from the stitch.  All mine were close with proper nylon stitches, no steristrips or dissolvable ones, seems quite normal here in the UK, maybe these scar more.

I am not sure why you will have 3 incisions for a straightforward scope  ???

I can certainly tell which knee has been operated on, not least as it is still a little swollen.  The scars don't worry me, I have worse!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
I have 8 places on my knee from 2 different scopes. The first scope a year ago was only two, I can barely see them but they are visiable but small and very light. The scope I had in January was 6 holes, a little more extensive surgery that time, and I have very visiable purple lines where the incisions were. They haven't gotten lighter the way the first ones did. They are very noticeable but don't bother me, I have scarrs everywhere anyway. (lots of skingraphs and other surgeries)
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
It is all going to depend on how your body scares.  Really the scares are your war wounds...battle scars.  Don't worry about them.  I have scars all over my knees from 11 surgeries and some people notice and some don't.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed