Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone have a meniscus repair done and could walk in a week?  (Read 9067 times)

Offline dc-girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone have a meniscus repair done and could walk in a week?
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
Hi,

I've been dealing with pain and a swollen knee all summer.
I just got back from my orthopedist and they scheduled me for surgery next Tuesday because of a lateral meniscus tear.

He said he'd do a repair if he can but if not he'd just remove the meniscus.
He said if its removed I'd be up and about within a few days, and could walk right out of surgery but if its repaired that I'd have to be on crutches for 4 weeks!

This is devastating to me because I've been planning a 2 week trip for a year now that I leave for about a week following the surgery date. It's for my birthday and a cousin's wedding. We're going to to a concert, we're supposed to go hiking, etc. Now of course I don't expect to go dancing for hiking but is there any chance 1 week after it (repair NOT removal) that I wouldn't have to use crutches?

I almost want to just say remove it so that then I'll know I'll at least be able to walk the week after.
Can anyone tell me what their recovery was like a week after a repair on a meniscus or lateral meniscus?

Thanks so much.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Anyone have a meniscus repair done and could walk in a week?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Now, of course everyone is different and every surgeon is different (mine was pretty conservative) but I used crutches on and off for a month after a lateral meniscus trim.  I went into surgery with the possibility of a repair and that would have been 3-4 weeks on crutches too.  I still had stitches in at 10 days post op, was using crutches around the house for a week, then for the next 2-4 while out and about.  I was not allowed to drive for 3 weeks and had 3 weeks off work.  Now after my second scope (cartilage tidy up), I did not really use crutches at all, but was still signed off work for 3 weeks.  Meniscus work can be more invasive however, especially a repair which needs time to settle and take.

Can you not have the holiday and then the op?  I didn't have my menisectomy for 5 months (granted that was maybe a little long as I did do more damage), so if you use a brace or support and your knee doesn't give way constantly, waiting a couple of weeks may not be a real issue?

Have a look in the meniscus forum for other experiences.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

ese230167

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »
I had an ACL reconstruction and lateral meniscus repair (for bucket handle tear - seriously big) and walked out of the hospital 2 days later! OK I was limping badly and heaps of pain for 2 weeks but as long as you protect the repair by not twisting, no heavy loading the joint, there's no reason why you shouldn't be GENTLY walking around in a week.

Offline dc-girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, I really can't wait because I'm so swollen and in pain, can hardly walk as it is right now. If I just leave it the way it is I don't think I could even get around during my trip.
The thing is, I kept reading all these reports or people being on their feet quickly afterwords but I didn't realize thats because its a removal and not a repair of the meniscus.
So, all in all, it probably won't be much worse than what I'm dealing with right now if I am on crutches. Maybe I could just not use them and favor the other leg like I'm doing right now. Essentially I shouldn't be on it now but I'm limping on it anyways.

Can anyone tell me if they've had a repair and they wish they wouldn't just gotten it removed? Or vice versa? I could opt to tell the Dr to just remove it I suppose.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:11:05 PM »
Mine couldn't be repaired as was all tatty - my age (38) at time may not have helped.  Given the choice, a repair is better if it holds - having bits removed does open you up to accelerated arthritic changes to the articular cartilage as that shock absorption/cushion has gone.  How old are you?  If under 40, you want a repair really if at all possible.  Damage to bones in the future versus a slightly less fun holiday - wouldn't be a tough choice for me  ???

If you are all swollen and in pain now, I suspect you will be more so after the op and will be grateful for the crutches.  I could have walked around after a week but I was keen to follow the surgeon's instructions and give the knee as good a chance as possible to recover.

I assume you are icing, elevating, resting and taking anti-inflammatories to help the swelling and pain? Ate you having physio - I found ultrasound quite helpful post injury. Could you not use crutches now to give the knee a break?  Lateral tears are harder to treat and slower to recover it seems?

Make sure that you are very clear to the surgeon in what work you are happy for him to do.  What you would not want is to wake up having had a surprise microfracture to an undiagnosed articular cartilage defect and be non weight bearing for 6 weeks.  It definitely happens!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
I have traveled extensively while on crutches with a wrecked knee, out of the country and in, more than once. Except for some really monumentally sucky pain during plane flights it's really not impossible.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline dc-girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:52:23 AM »
I had an ACL reconstruction and lateral meniscus repair (for bucket handle tear - seriously big) and walked out of the hospital 2 days later! OK I was limping badly and heaps of pain for 2 weeks but as long as you protect the repair by not twisting, no heavy loading the joint, there's no reason why you shouldn't be GENTLY walking around in a week.

Well, this give me hope! Because that's exactly what I have, a bucket handle tear! So am I to understand you got around carefully without crutches after a week?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:24:44 AM »
My coworker had a meniscus repair and was walking in a couple of days. However, I think a lot depends on exactly where the tear is and what they do to it. Trust me, if there's any chance they can repair the meniscus you want them to do that, regardless of how inconvenient it is. While meniscus trims aren't uncommon, each time you lose a bit of it you have less cushioning in the knee and you're at more risk of arthritis and other problems in the future. Better to lose out on a few things now and make a full recovery than find yourself losing a lot more permanently in the long term. It really sucks (I know from my own experience - I lost some things I'd been looking forward to for months when I had my surgery last summer) but don't opt for a removal over a repair simply to save this one trip.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:48 PM »
You need to remember everyone heals differently - we all have differing pain levels - and surgeons all have different protocols to be followed.  Having said that don't "expect" one thing because if its different you will be disappointed.  Its a given you are going to be sore and uncomfortable.  Your dealing with that now. 

My first surgery I was so upset that my body didn't respond exactly how I wanted it too!  The doc was frustrated with me because I just knee how it would be!  The other 4 knee surgeries I've had a better outlook, if you will.  I go to hospital and dang knee will still hurt when I come out!  How long it hurts, etc is a crap shoot!  But it will get better.

Just figure out whats best for you.  Does your surgeon know you are planning to travel?  They have differing opinions on that also.  Mine is a stickler about following his rules.  No travel period for 3 or 4 months for scopes, and much longs for other repairs.  Ask questions...........good luck.  eagle

Offline Kelly893

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Forces Fashion UK
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
I am 14days post op on a ACL reconstruction and Medial meniscus repair, surgeon wasnt happy with repair and will decide on the 15th of sept if he is going back in to remove it, but as i am only 24 he doesnt want me left with out on, if it can be helped.. However, i am still on crutches, still massivley swollen and in alot of pain.. alot more than i had anticipated i would be. I did get an infection confirmed last week though so im hoping that the swelling and pain is due to that. However I can still feel the meniscus pain, just as i could before it was repaired, and the screws in my shin are really proving very pain ful.. fingers crossed for you but please dont do what I did, and expect to be walking normally again by 2weeks after the operation. just keep an open mind. I hope you get on ok and have a speedy recovery. :)

Offline dc-girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
Oh my, that stinks to get an infection.

I have a lateral meniscus tear and no acl problems I don't think (fingers crossed). So hopefully it won't be that bad.

Ugh, I'm not sure what to do now, I"m getting around better to day, walking, driving fine, etc. I just have a swollen knee and can't walk very quickly.
BUT I can walk just fine without crutches, I'm torn (pun intended), maybe I should wait until after the trip to have this done.

Ack, wish I had a genie to tell me how my healing would be like afterwords.
I feel like if its just swollen with minor pain I could get around without crutches.
My OS said crutches for 4 weeks but that might just be standard protocal and not necessary for me, cause it sounds like several of you were walking/limping long before that.

Offline dc-girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
So here's an update,

I've gotten better the last days and can practically walk normally, so am seriously thinking about postponing the surgery but would hate to have it swell up really bad on the trip if I don't...........

Anyone else wanna report back if they could walk after a repair?

Thanks y'all

Offline Brittany

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
My first surgery, 11 years ago was for my acl, lateral, and medial mensicus. I was on Crutches for 6 weeks. I was weight bearing but I could not put all my weight on it and bend my knee. Like everyone else has said everyone heals differently. It also depends greatly on what they have to do. My doctor repaired my lateral and medial meniscus, and had to use stitches, thats why I couldn't put weight onto it when I bent my kne, if I had done so I would have ripped the stiches right out.

You should ask yourself though whats more important? Being able to hike/dance, or a knee that is feeling better? If you are flying call the airline and see what they can do to help you when you travel, they might be able to give you a whole row if the flight isn't booked (thats what they did for me). Call the concert venue and explain your situation. I had movie tickets, and they moved us to different seating.

I made the mistake of waiting to have my surgery because I had other  "more important" things to do during the summer. Like I said it was a mistake. I went from tearing my acl and and lateral meniscus, to also tearing my medial meniscus. Is the risk worth it? It wasn't for me. Like you my knee was swollen and I was in a lot of pain. I was 15 at the time and thought I would be fine once the swelling went away. I started playing with my brothers soccer teams at their team parties and stepped wrong. I regret every day that I didn't listen to my doctor and do the surgery right away and take it easy.

You have to look at the long run. What really means more? You will have more birthdays. Even on crutches you can still travel, and go to a wedding, and concert. But your knee is something that you are going to have to deal with the rest of your life, and not using crutches because you dont want to be tied to them, and not having the surgery right now because you have more fun things you want to do might end up messing up your knee even more. Your knee is already weak because you have one injury. Do you really want to take that chance of doing something else to it?

Sorry for coming across lilke a major bitch, but if I could go back in time I wouldn't have waited to have my surgery. If I hadn't waited I wouldn't have made my knee worse then what it was and who knows, maybe if I hadnt hurt it more I wouldn't be expecting my 7th knee surgery.
Never give up!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »
First off Brittany you aren't coming off as major bitch - what you are doing is giving your opinion where it was asked for.  Enough said about that........

I  initially injured my knee's in high school and did nothing about them at that time.  I often wonder if I'd be having the pain & trouble now if I would have done something then.  Fast forward many many year and my right knee finally said "I'm done."  It was not convenient but............  Fast forward two more years and left knee said "I'm done." Again not convenient but surgery again.  While rehabing I knew I'd re-riped it - immediate surgery, and of course not at convenient time.  Then I thought I'd get smart - finally.  I Changed my eating habits, etc & started a huge walking routine.  Within a year I'd lost 78 lbs - and you got it, re blown the left knee.  Surgery again.............

My point is your the only one who knows and it will NEVER be convenient, EVER.  Also I think we all kid ourselves the closer to surgery the better we "think" the knee is - its how we deal with things.  You need to decide - sadly everyone of us on this board probably has regrets as to how we've handled our knees & pain.  Gotta do what's best for you.  Oh dear, now I sound like a major bitch!  eagle

Offline Kelly893

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Forces Fashion UK
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:19 AM »
Brittany - you have hit the nail on the head.
My injury was in may, I ruptured my ACL and my medial meniscus. Since then iv never been able to put any pressure on the front of my knee. and 2 weeks before the op (4th august 2011) I finally had a straight leg and an almost "normal" bend... However when they went in , it was more complicated than the MRI had shown. My Meniscus has been repaired but OS isnt 100% happy its going to hold but he said he wanted to give it a chance. My ACL which is now Hamstrings was in 2 peices but with lots of threads all over the inside of my knee which turns out is the reason I had the "catching" feeling when trying to bend/straighten..
However, I had to wait 12weeks for surgery because of the "physio protocol" for this type of injury... Those were the worst 12weeks! I couldnt imagine putting off surgery longer.
Now, almost 3weeks post op, I am in horrendous discomfort, swelling, general feeling of rubbishness and really down in the dumps. Dont have a straight leg or a bend and every time I weight bare I can feel the swelling bubbling around inside.. Iv had an infection they said is now cleared up, because the scars look "normal" although I think this infection is now deep inside and thankfully got an emergancy appointment through to see my OS on this coming thursday, rather than the original post op date of 15th sept..

Please dont wait for surgery, I am 25 in 3weeks and at the moment the chance of me going back to play Ladies football (iv played semi pro and been playing since i was 5) , regular running an my all time ambition of becoming a Firefighter (which the process was well underway before doing this) is very very slim. Doing something so simple that caused so much damage could now of stopped me going any further with the things I love doing. Every step is so painful, I just hope in 12months time (my physio treatment length of time) I will be looking a bit more possitive..

Good luck with your knee, just do everything a doctor tells you, your knees are so important :)

Sorry to ramble on in a negative way, just not a good knee day today.
Best wishes.
xx

support