Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: It seems like itd be easier to just cut my stupid knee off!!!  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Brittany

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
It seems like itd be easier to just cut my stupid knee off!!!
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
Hi! I'm new here and this is my first message. I happened to find this website when i was googling information on what my upcoming surgery will look like,and what they will do.

I'm 26, just turned less then a month ago, and I've just been told I will be needing my 7th knee surgery. I guess I just want to vent, and get everything off my chest that I'm feeling, and asking questions about my upcoming new surgery and what to expect. My doctor told me today that this will be probably one of the most painful knee surgeries I have had to date.

Where to begin? When I was 15 I hurt my knee for the first time playing ultimate frisbee in P.E. I stepped on the edge of the turf and track and my left knee buckled to the side (like how your elbow bends). It instantly swelled up, and I blacked out don't remember actually falling or grabbing at my knee. I didn't go to the ER until after school was out. The doctor then looked at it and told me to go get a straight leg brace (even though i couldn't straighten it)  and to see my primary care doctor in two weeks. My doctor saw me two weeks later and did the ACL test. He sent me for an MRI and called me a few days later that I tore my ACL completely, as well as my lateral muniscus. He told me to take it easy, which I didn't know how to do because I played soccer ever since I can remember. Well my brothers soccer team had a soccer party and I was playing with them. I stepped wrong and then tore my medial muniscus. (I didn't find that out until i was actually in under the knife, my surgery was only supposed to be an hour and a half, and it ended up being three...needless to say my mom was freaked out when it was taking so long.) During the surgery they repaired both of my muniscui, as well as taking part of my patellar tendon and put it in place of my acl. I did the recovery. and went back to trying to be as active as possible (although I was told I couldn't play soccer ever again, and I haven't since then).

A year later I hurt it, doing I don't know what and had to have another surgery for my lateral muniscus.

One year after that I had surgery to remove scar tissues.

Two years later I had  to remove a 1/4 of my mrdial muniscus.

A year after that I had surgery to repair my medial muniscus.

Five years, or four months ago I had another surgery to do an acl graft. The "acl" i had ruptured on the back side. They couldn't do any other repairs, all though there was other damnage. The other repairs I needed would need to be transplants and they didnt have that stuff in the operating room because they didnt realize i would be needing it done. 

That night, my knee started to spasm and I had a lot of pain. Two months after I had surgery my knee still felt like it was giving out on me, as well as still needing to take pain medication. I also needed to get a shot of prednisone/pain medication into my knee. Two months later (today) I had two get two more shots, and my doctor said if at my 6 month check up I'm not doing any beter, or I'm still taking pain meds, or if its still giving out on me that I will be needing another knee surgery. He also said that at the rate I'm going to just expect to have the surgery within a few months.  He told me I will be having a medial meniscus transplant, as well as a medial femor chondyle osteochondral allograft transplant. He also me that if after 6 months after this next surgery if its not better I will be having a knee replacement that this next surgery is a last ditch effort to make my knee better. 

So I guess my question is has anyone been through this many knee surgeries? And has anyone had either a medial meniscus transplant, or a medial femor chondyle osteochondral allograft transplant, or both?

I feel broken I guess you could say. I'm sad, and depressed. I broke down crying when my doctor told me this today. He told me not to expet to run ever again. or really do anything. Sorry for making my first post venting. Its just a lot to take in especially because of the nature of my surgery and I will probably have to have a blood transfussion.

Ugh I'm overwhelmed!
Never give up!

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
Re: It seems like itd be easier to just cut my stupid knee off!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »
Brittany
Take a deep breath and go slow.  If all of these surgeries have been done by the same doctor I would not even consider more surgery until I saw another doctor.  It just seem this doctor keeps going back without having a firm grasp of the idea.  Even if that is not the case I would still sget at least one if not several more opinions.
I am shocked that even before the reconstruction is done the doctor wold even think about a knee replacement.
I know we like to put faith in our doctors, and you have been seeing this doctor since you were very young, you are still very young.
Even though this doctor knows you and your knee well and he may be 100% and doing everything proplerly, you should get other medical opinions, in the words of one of our Presidents who served just around the time you were born, "Trust but verify"
When you do seek a second or third opinion be sure not to see a doctor who practices in the same hospital, you may want to call a hospital in the next town etc. to locate one, since one doctor who knows the other may not want to give a different opinion.
The surgery you are looking at is serious, and it looks like you have been down the road from fairly minor to much more serious surgeries, it would make me want to stop and think.
I have had 12 surgeries on my knee, and if I had taken my own advise ten years ago I would be walking today, not in a wheelchair waiting for a total knee replacement revision and total reconstruction ahd wondering if I will ever walk again.
Go slow, see as many doctors as you can and  good luck

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
Sorry to hear of your problems, my knee problems arent anywhere near as bad as yours but I know exactly how you are feeling.

I finally thought I had got somewhere with my knee after my surgeries but it seems not as now some of the pain and catching has returned. I am considering the same as you and trying a different surgeon to get another opinion as dont want to go down the route of futher surgery if I can avoid it.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Brittany

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:17:25 AM »
My first 5 surgeries were done by the same surgeon. The last surgery was done by a completely different doctor. He is the number one recommended knee/sports medicine surgeon in my area. Honestly its to the point right now I cant be on my feet for more then a half hour without being in pain. No matter what im doing it gives out on me.
Never give up!

Offline CloudyBerets

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:43:12 AM »
Knees are the most failed body part.

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »
Thank you for responding

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »
My cat hit my computer before I finished, sorry.  Before going into any more surgery I would still seek a few different opinions from several doctors.  You are very young to have fo face this, and each successive surgery greatly increases the chance of severe arthritis from the surgery and other scar tissue issues down the road.  You are also very young for opiate pain management, howerer there are a number of non opiate pain medictions on the market that help.  A fairly new one is pennsaid, it is drops, you apply 40 drops every six or eight hours around the knee.  It has the ability to penetrate deeply into the tissues.  I have begun to use it, and even on day's where 400mg of morphine throughout the day do not ease my knee pain the pennsaid seems to help.  You must have a perscription from an M>D. or Nurse Practioner for it but it is easier to get a doctor to write than opiate based pain drugs.

There are also a number of other drugs that your orthopedist should know of that you may try.  Whatever you decide I suggest you just do not jump into surgery that can lead you closer to being forced into a total knee replacement at a very young age.  It may be that the proper hinged brace can help with stability and your sports medicine ortho may have some suggestions in that regard, most do, in fact when i went to a heavy hinged brace from a lighter one i did get a bit of relief.  In the end you may just have to face the fact that you  have to make some basic life style changes, even though that may be a difficult decision now it may be far better to do whatever you can to avoid or at least delay further surgery as long as possible.  As you know from your own experience no surgery can guarantee pain relief, but many can cause issues with scar tissue and increased pain.  Until you find a doctor you feel as close to 100% secure with after seeing a few of them I would do whatever i could to delay the next surgical option.  Good luck

Offline Brittany

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
So I talked to my doctor about using pennsaid, but I can't take it because of my blood disorder. It will only make my blood disorder worse. But my doctor gave me a perscription for a litocain (sp?) patch. It got denied by my insurance, which we expected but we should be able to get it overturned because of my medical history. Since I can't use certain pain meds because of my blood issue (I can't take asprin, tylenol, ibeprohin or anything else in that category) and I can't take the heavy pain meds at work. So hopefully my insurance will cover it and it will help me deal with the pain until I have my next surgery.

I have tried several different braces but nothin helps. I still feel like my knee is going to give out on me. I have changed my life completely. I don't go out at all anymore, I don't hike, I don't take the stairs, I can't even really play with my son in the yard, I have to sit down all the time. I can't do anything, and I tell my friends/family, daily that I just want to cut my knee off. Its to the point where I can't even work, and I've had to move back in with my parents. I can't do anything because of my stupid knee.

I have sent my information and talked with several different doctors and they all reccomend physical thearapy (which I've been doing for 4 months since my last surgery) but they agree that if its not better by 6 months post op that I should do the next surgery.

I think it really is my only real option to do it.
Never give up!

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 05:18:02 AM »
Speaking from a layman's point of view, why would your doctor want to do a knee replacement unless you have severe arthritis? At 26 that seems like an unusually drastic step..
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline shanncon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:01:38 AM »
Hello- I am also young like you. I am 27 years old and am going on my 5th knee operation. Although your situation is different than mine I have never been offered knee replacement by any doctor I have seen and I have had 3 different docs.
Just to give you a brief overview of my situation- my injuries began with a fall
1st surgery removal of plica
2nd surgery lateral release
3rd surgery MPFL reconstruction
Broke my knee cap in half last year
4th surgery chondroplasty and another lateral release
5th scheduled in Oct TTT
So I have had a fair share of knee trouble, but have not been offered knee replacement as an option. Knee replacement from my understanding should only be offered if total arthritis is present. I know they have unicompartmental replacements these days so maybe check into that. I do agree with the others that say get another opinion. We are young and we only get one set of knees so we should try the best we can to make the best choices about surgical options. Goos luck with that knee!
Shann

support