Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Multiligament surgery?  (Read 921 times)

ese230167

Multiligament surgery?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »
I would really like to talk to someone who has had MCL and ACL reconstruction at the same time. I had ACL recon in June but because the surgeon thought the MCL was tightening, he didn't repair it at the same time. Since the surgery I have had multiple episodes of the knee buckling on the medial side and, following a lateral release arthroscopy last week, have discovered the ACL reconstruction has deteriorated by around 50% already! I want to push for an MCL recon but my surgeon says this is a complicated and unnecessary procedure as it will heal eventually. Not sure how much more my ACL can take though.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Multiligament surgery?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
If you use the search function you will find that there are several of us who have had multi-ligament surgery. You could also just search for people who have had MCL recons. Also look for posts involving "unhappy triad" as they contain info about Lateral Collateral ligament damage.

A tip to save you from posting to lots of people and not getting any replies, is always check when the thread was started and also the last time a person logged into the boards. You can do this by clicking on the "view profile" option for the person. Many people come here for a short while and then never return as soon as they feel they are better.

I had an ACL revision and LCL reconstruction in August 2008 which went very well and I was back skiing, albeit in a brace, 5.5 months later. Last season I had about 50 something days on piste, and am hoping for even more next season.

Have you asked your surgeon about bracing while the knee is still compromised?

It also helps to say where you are as although this s a UK based site, there are members from all over the world. The only criteria for being here is using English to communicate with the majority of people.

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

ese230167

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
thanks Sue. Some good tips there! Yep, back in the brace for a bit but long term this isn't going to heal! Are you UK or US? I'm UK based

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
I'm based in southern Germany, in the mountains between Munich and Salzburg. But I'm a Brit and had a lot of my surgery in the UK (in Bristol at the Avon Orthopaedic Centre).

Sue ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

ese230167

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
Well, Sue, after one-too-many episodes of giving way I've re-ruptured my ACL, MCL is now completely gone too! So I'm in for the double now. Will update on progress.

support