Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Upper calf pain post-surgery  (Read 9724 times)

Offline ihtar1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Upper calf pain post-surgery
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:20:30 PM »
Dear all,

I had surgery on my knee ten days ago. The first surgery I had was two years ago, and it was an acl reconstruction using my patellar tendon and a meniscal repair. This past surgery was to clean out the scar tissue and remove the screw they first put in to hold the ACL because both were giving me issues. So I had a debridement and a scope.

Ten days have passed and about five days ago I started noticing some pain in my calf. I thought it was just normal post-op, but it's still there. I called my nurse, and she sent me to the ER to check for blood clots. The ER was a pain in my ass and they told me there was nothing.

Has anyone experienced this kind of pain as a normal part of post-op recovery?

Thanks guys!
Rathi

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
Re: Upper calf pain post-surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
I did!!!!  I had to have a ultrasound, to make sure it was not a blood clot. Turned out to be a baker cyst that drained into my calf. They actually had to drain it from my calf. I cant tell you how much fluid they got out, but what a relief, after they did it.   Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline ihtar1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »
Hmm interesting - thanks for that response! Did they say that was something common that could happen? How long did you wait before you had it drained?

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:25:01 AM »
it happened a week after surgery. I just could not walk it hurt really bad, plus you could feel and see it, it was huge. Yes sometimes it can happen. I actually had a bakers cyst before surgery from the meniscus tear.      Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Kelly893

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Forces Fashion UK
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:10:10 PM »
Iv just had a meniscus repair and full ACL reconstruction/graft 2weeks ago today, I too have an awful pain in my calf. but my knee has got the size of a balloon and hard lumps inside that i can massage down.. Iv had an infection in it for a week but I am really unsure what to do next, iv rang the surgeons secretary and she wasnt much help saying he cant see me b4 my appointment time on the 15th sept... The screw in my shin is causing me pain and discomfort already, but im hoping that is just a settling down thing and will clear up,. any advice from you guys would be great.
Iv been measuring my calves to make sure there isnt any change to be aware of clots etc. iv got alot of bruising though , have you noticed any? it could just be that?? xx

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 06:16:42 AM »
I had crazy calf pain after my ACL reconstruction, accompanied by lots of bruising. What happened to me was that the surgical haematoma (internal bleeding - tends to be bad after ACL surgery because of all the work they have to do including bone drilling and harvesting of the tendons if you have an autograft) gradually drained down through my calf, and it was agonizing - there were a few days when my calf hurt much more than the poor battered knee! The bruising sort of slid down my leg with the pain, ending up in a very colourful foot that gradually dissipated over a couple of weeks. My physiotherapist did a lot of massage work to help the drainage, which was always very painful at the time but helped a lot afterwards.

That said, while this kind of calf pain can be normal DVTs are also a risk after surgery. It's worth reading up on the signs of those and going back to the ER if you have recognizable symptoms. It's a really fine line between "normal" pain and something being badly wrong, and it's definitely better to err on the side of caution.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline ihtar1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »
I went to my physical therapist and she thinks it has more to do with the swelling around the knee than anything - and yes I have these weird bumps around the knee. It's like a hinge that has big lumps of rust around it... so when I push it to move, it works better, but when it gets tights, can barely get past those lumps of rust. Anyways, I have been doing more stretching of the calf and it feels good when I do that, but hasnt really gone away. For me too the pain in my calf is much stronger than the pain in my  knee... I am simply hoping it will go away. I think if I hit the three week or four week mark and its still there, I will have to do something else about it... isn't this fun everyone?

Offline Kelly893

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Forces Fashion UK
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Really not much fun for me :( hehe! I feel such a wuss at the moment and have to keep reminding myself, actually it was quite a big operation so give your self some slack!... However, this morning I have managed to get an emergancy appointment with my OS on Thursday, as they dont think what is going in inside my knee at the moment, sounds all that "normal" for this time post op... So fingers crossed they can give me some answers come thursday.
Hope everyone's knee is feeling a little better today.. Ive doped up on those painkillers and sat with it up and stretched to try and ease it :( x

support