Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella Replacement  (Read 863 times)

Offline shanncon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Replacement
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »
Hello-
   My story is a long one, but i'll try and sum it up. I am writing to find out if anyone else has had any similar experiences and if there is any advice out there.
   I have had knee problems since I fell when I was 19 yrs. old and have now had 4 operations on my right knee. This current issue began last September when I had a MPFL reconstruction which went great. I was recovering really nicely and was back to some of my old activities and about 2 and a half months into recovery I tripped going down the stairs and broke me knee cap in half! Because i had just had surgery the doctor could not fix the break as he would in the average person's knee. The break was displaced but we had high hopes that it would come back together. I had 2 different types of braces over about 4 months as we monitored the healing fracture. The pieces of bone came back together, but did so incorrectly. The top piece healed over the bottom piece a bit leaving sharp bone fragments in the back of my knee cap. After trying many things such as therapy or acupuncture with no help the doctor began discussing surgical options.
   My age plays a major role here as I am only 27 yrs. old and cannot function due to my knee so something has to be done to fix it. I had bone resurfacing and a lateral release done about a month ago and am attending therapy 3 x. per week and do not feel any better than before. It's an understatement to say I am discouraged! The doc says the only option left is a patella replacement. I cannot find too much info about it on the web and have never come in contact with a person who has had a partial knee replacement. If anyone has any info on patella replacement- please let me know. 

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Patella Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »
I had mine done about three years ago this month.  I was 39.  Check out this website http://www.patellamd.com/1.html.  Lots of good info there.  There is a doc in New York as well.  I cannot remember the name off hand.  The surgery was not too bad at all, easier to recover from than any of the lateral release surgeries I have had.  My knee feels so much better without all the stabbing pain.  No more creaking or clicking either.  If you want more info let me know.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »
I had the same surgery as Milly with FANTASTIC results.  My Dr is in Pa. 
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline shanncon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »
Thanks so much for the info! I'm glad to hear the surgery is not terrible:)