Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The big money in knee replacement surgery  (Read 1011 times)

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
The big money in knee replacement surgery
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »
I was just loking at the web site of a well known orthopedic practice insuburban Maryland to get some information for a friend and nearly fell out of my power wheelchair.  On the first page of their web site they announce that they just hired a golf expert and purchased  a computer system that analyzes a persons golf swing to see if it can be improved by hip or knee replacement surgery. God be my witness.  I have said in several posts that knee and joint replacement has become one of the big business money makers for hospitals.  They are all opening joint replacement units.  Doctors with the sponsorship of manufacturers of artificial hips and knees are running seminars in hotel banquet rooms selling the benefits of joint replacement surgery while providing free dinner and drinks.

What is going on here?  I realize that some poeple benefit from joint replacement surgery, and I know I have a bias that it is done too often, and the factual knowledge that the success rates are no where as good as the orthopedic community states.  That said, when doctors pitch major surgery as a method of improving ones golf game I think the medical community has gone too far..  I am sure not every doctor does things like this and I know for a fact there are excellent practices that do not allow equipment sales people to come on weekly visits and provide sports tickets and gifts to get doctors to use their artifical joints.  But too many doctors still have their hands out and will jump at the opportunity to do surgery.

I have personally found that physicians who work for large teaching hospitals where their income does not tie into the number of procedures they do seem much less willing to jump to the surgical option before trying physical therapy, braces and some life style changes.  But this is not always the case, as I am sure not every private practice surgeon would suggest surgery to better ones swing,.  It would be interesting to hear from fellow kneee patinets who are suffering if they feel that they are being led into the concept of joint replacement surgery for business purposes or for sound medical reasons after other more conservative options have been tried and failed.
Thanks for the rant and please respond.

support