Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kneecap pops upon flexion  (Read 1985 times)

Offline runner7

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Kneecap pops upon flexion
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:03:42 AM »
There's something weird I've had for a few months.  I think it's a "domino effect" injury caused by my main injury.

Basically, when I'm sitting in a chair for a while, if I bend my knee from 90 degrees to straight, the kneecap sort of tracks weird -- kind of like it jumps from one position to another.

To resolve this issue, I place my hand on the kneecap and push it inward (medially) while extending the leg, and the kneecap audibly pops, and then the problem goes away for about 30 minutes (I can extend my knee normally during this time).  Given more time, the problem repeats itself.

I feel no pain with any of this, and I haven't ever had the kneecap slide out of place or anything.  And it doesn't feel like it's out of place before extending or after.

The problem is particularly prominent when I go out to ride my bike.  For the first few pedals strokes when my leg is at a certain position, my kneecap "jumps" just like it does when extending it while sitting in a chair.  To fix it, I have to unclip my foot, extend my leg and press the kneecap inward until it pops, and then the rest of the ride it's fine.

Does anyone know what condition this is?  I've had little success Googling.

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Kneecap pops upon flexion
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
It could be a bunch of things.  One thing I would do is check your form on the bike.  Make sure you keep your knees tight and not hanging out to the side.  Secondly, I would stretch my hips and IT Band prior to the ride. 

I am getting a similar experience and my OS is telling me that he thinks it could be my IT Bands.  He says they are so tight that it is pulling my knee cap laterally causing pain.
11/29/2010 Lateral Release left knee
1/2011 Cortizone injection left knee
4/1/2011 Lateral Release right knee
5-6/2011 Supartz injection series (5)
12/12/2011 TTT and Lateral Release repair left knee

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Kneecap pops upon flexion
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
I have the same exact thing happen to me on my “good” knee. Its been doing this for as long as I can remember – Like you, if I sit to long, upon extension, the kneecap will seemingly jump/pop out of the groove. No pain, just annoying. Once the legs are loose and working, not an issue. It’s a tracking problem, and what causes it can be the mystery and different for everyone.

I agree with FatheadD – It could be a tight IT band. You also mention a main injury? Without knowing what this is, is it possible your inner quads or VMO have been weakened? If they aren’t functioning to “pull” the kneecap medially, you’d have an imbalance causing the kneecap to track laterally. To start with I’d think good stretching and some strengthening should help for either theory.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening