Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fractured Patella healing or not?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Linwight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured Patella healing or not?
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:59 AM »
I fractured my patella on July 5th and have been in plaster since then. The cast is due to come off in 11 days. I last saw the doctor 2.5 weeks ago on 21st July who checked my xrays and told me the cast could come off in 4 weeks and I could start putting some weight down....starting slowly, but full weight bearing by the 4th week. I've been doing this and going out when I can find someone to push my wheelchair - so doing what I can but not, I hope overly much. It seems now to be hurting more than it was.......... My preference is not to call the hospital as I really, really, want this horrible cast off on August 18th and don't want them to think I'm not coping, but it obviously needs to heal. Is it normal for it to hurt so much 5 weeks after it fractured???

I'd appreciate some advice

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
Re: Fractured Patella healing or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
As one who has had a plaster cast from the top of my foot to my hip once for 8 weeks I know it is no fun at all.  That said, you really should let the doctor know if you are in a lot of pain.  I do not know what is usual for your type of recovery but I do know that pain is the way the body tells you something is very wrong.  Don't hold back from the doctor, if you rush and have the cast removed before you heal properly you could be doing much more harm, so let the doctor know what is going on and don't worry about a few more weks if needed in a cast.

Offline Linwight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:57:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I've been back to the hospital - to A&E. They took off the cast and I was surprised to see that the leg is still hugely swollen - is that normal? Also surprised that they didn't x-ray it, but just put another cast on!

I think it's the nature of the cast - rubbing against an extremely sore kneecap - which is causing the pain, but there are also politics involved in as far as they didn't want to interfere with the treatment being given by another department.

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »
It is good that you went back to hospital.  Just wondering, did they put any gauze of light covering over the knee area before they put the new cast on.  It has been a long time since I had my cast but I seem to recall they put some cotton of a stocking like mesh uinder it.  If they did not you may want to ask the doc if they still do that when you see him, as it kept the cast from pressing directly on the incision.

Good luck a cast is not fun although I recall that after a few weeks i would travel the subway and even do stairs, but I could put some weight on my leg then.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »
Swelling isn't unusual - plus if you are anywhere that is having warm weather you've got trouble trouble as the cast makes the leg compressed and then the heat creates more swelling. I had my foot operated on in April and my big toe still isn't the same shape and size as it used to be and I have swelling over the bonework that was done. (screws and plate). Swelling takes ages to dissipate especially when you start doing more, it is Catch 22.

Patella fractures are also notoriously painful. Do as you're doing, keep a record of your pain and if it goes through the roof or you get extreme swelling get back to the docs. You can't rush bone healing though, so be patient. You did the right thing getting to A & E.

Good luck

Lottie

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Linwight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:02:34 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I'm really hoping my appointment with the consultant on Thursday will sort these problems out -fingers crossed the cast will go and I'll have a brace! In the meantime I think I'll be calling my GP to ask for different medication.....see if there is such a thing as anti inflammatories which don't upset my stomach!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
If you're struggling with stomach issues but need to stay on the NSAIDS then discuss getting something like a course of Omeprazole that will be taken alongside the NSAID and which works on the acid in your stomach.  :)

Good luck with the appointment.

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Linwight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
I've been back to the fracture clinic today and an x-ray shows my bones are not healing! Another cast has been put on - because of the swelling and problems I've had with other casts I now have a 3M Soft Cast - something normally given to children! I was really hoping I'd be given a brace, but my OP says absolutely not, it MUST be a cast for this type of fracture. My hope that the cast would come off after 6 weeks doesn't look too hopeful either!