Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee replacement should be based on quality of Life not AGE  (Read 1169 times)

Offline CloudyBerets

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee replacement should be based on quality of Life not AGE
« on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:53 AM »
Im trying to convinced my orthopedist along with my PC doctor and psychiatrist to give me a knee replacement at age 32.The odds are against me,but the pain is too much.I can't walk,bend my left knee,ride a bike or even swim.

Im also thankful to atleast have 25 years of two good knees.I have read some horror stories here and it's even sadder that some people here have had knees that are shot as soon as they enter adolescence.

Offline jenny1000

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee replacement should be based on quality of Life not AGE
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
What about that new oxinium one?  I don't know much about it, but a doctor in India used one on a 34 year old man from the Netherlands.  Might be worth looking into?  I'm wondering if 21 is too young to get one, probably!

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:44:30 PM »
The Gold Standard in orthopedic surgery use to be that it was best to avoid having a knee replacement until the patient was in his/her 60's.  That is due the expected life of an artificial knee thought to nhave been 15 r twenty yeras, that the docs thought would allow for one revision in a patients kifetime.  Toiday I believe the literature and statistics are finding that kness fail more ofter than first thought, and that more and more patients have to have first revisions about 10 years after the original knee.  There are many exceptions to this but that seeems to be the thinking.  I had my first total knee at 56 years of age and now I am looking at a revision.  The thinking is revisions last less time and have more compliocations than primary replacements.  If I am around in another eight to ten years I may be looking at a second revision which many doctors do not even do.  It becomes very difficult.

I personally feel knee replacement surgery having become a cash cow and money maker for American Hospitals is way over used.  Hospitals and Doctors run slick seminars at hotels with food and drink to pitch the benefits of knee and hip replacement.  They show slides of so called patients rock climbing or playing tennis.
This is all paid for by the manufacturers of the artificial knee systems.  It is a big business.  Then there are the TV ads showinging implants that although just designed last year are "lad tested" for twenty five years."" No lab test can be the same as testing in the human body.
What I am trying to say is tha knee replacement is major surgery, if you look between the lines you will find just as many patients with the same or even worse pain than befor the replacement.

Then there is infection, instability etc.

It is a road that before traveled should be very well researched.  There are hundreds of articles from medical journals that talk about the many problems and failures of these surgeries as there are thos that say they are almost always success

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
sorry, my cat hit my keyboard and sent the last post before complete  or prof read///
What I was ending on is that if you are careful and look at many sites and orthopedic journals you will get a more balanced idea of the problems with knee replacements.

Yes some do work well, but just as many do not.  In my case I am crippled, in a wheel chair living on morphine as are many patients who looked at this surgery as a cure all for knee pain. I would happily trade the pain I had before my surgey for what I have today. Also orthopedists are starting to admit they have no idea of many of the causes of post tka pain.  Some causes can be found but in many patients who suffer every day the x-rays, mri's and scans come back normal, but the patient has chronic pain.
Yes it is a matter of lifestyle but there is a reason doc's even with expensive marketing programs behind them do not like to do these surgeries on young people.

I would suggest you focus on physical therapy, even see a physical rehabilitation doctor and hold off on the replacement.  I can guarantee if you look hard enough you will find a surgeon willing to do the replacement, but will it be because it is for the right reason or for the check that he or she will get from the insurance company.

Go slow and be careful