Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: VMO gone  (Read 6521 times)

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
VMO gone
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »

My VMO deflated since ACL Surgery 15 months ago.  My knee no longer holds me up when going down stairs or hills. I canít cut my lawn anymore due to the hill.  Iím only 28 and I have significant functional deficits.  Anyone out there that never recovered from
ACL surgery because of severe muscle loss (VMO)?????

I am physically impaired off ACL surgery

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: VMO gone
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
What exercises are you currently doing?

Don't give up hope, I've heard of people who havn't walked for about 2 years getting their vmo strength back.  Mine took me over a eyar to get to a decent level and is OK but I need it stronger still in order to do everything that I want.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
Don't give up hope.  Work at getting the strength back.  It is going to take work and time.  Might be a good idea to get back into PT to get them to help you with building strength.
11/29/2010 Lateral Release left knee
1/2011 Cortizone injection left knee
4/1/2011 Lateral Release right knee
5-6/2011 Supartz injection series (5)
12/12/2011 TTT and Lateral Release repair left knee

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
Iíve been doing exercises for 15 months.

I still canít use the leg extension machine because of the amount of sharp shooting knee pain.

I use my Total Gym to do single leg press. 

I do SLR with foot tilted out.

I do resist hip abductor sideway LR

I squeeze stability ball and bring it up to my head and back down.

I do box steps.

I do single squats but canít go down that far because of the sharp shooting knife stabbing pain.   When I do them you can clearly see my hip is holding me up.  The patella just doesnít want to hold me up

All the exercises I do with my PT I get the same results. My hip, glutes, and groin are sore the next day. Even when I do SLR I feel sore in my groin and hip.  When I do SLR with my good leg my quad is sore after workouts.  He has his head scratching and canít figure out why I cant target my quad ever.  However when I do my good leg, my quad is sore the very next day.  My PT will be dropping me because we havenít seen results in 15 months!

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
Sounds like you should have dropped your PT a while ago.  If you are not getting results you need to change things up.

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:40 PM »

Wha do u mean by change things up...I've been down every road.

I saw an orthopedic twice since acl / lateral meniscus surgery (may 2010) and both orthopedics went in 2 more times , the recent being July 13,2011 and removed scar tissue off the acl

So I dont really have options here

The orthopedics say to live with the deficits I have

I cant even carry my own kid down the stairs the correct way or carry anything down the stairs to say the least.  I go down one leg at a time which looks quite strange to people in the publics eye

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »
If your using weights and trying to do single leg squats then it sounds like your doingtoo many of the hard exercises which your knee doesn't like and you don't actually ahve the strength to do which isn't going to help.  If your knee doesn't like what it is doing then it will suppress the vmo to stop yo from using it.  I would try something easier like normal standing squatts, maybe holding onto somthing, go down very slowly and stop at 90 degrees.  When they are too easy go to lgentle lunges, then you can progress to single leg squatts.  As for weights I think they are too advanced, just take a step back and do something easier to give the bad knee a break while still exercising it.

I'm the opposite to you, I've been doing mid level exercises for too long and am too timid for the advanced ones like single leg squatts which I just don't have th balence for.

Having said all that I would get a pt's advice on exercises.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »
I understand your frustration.  What I meant by changing thing up is to try taking a different approach.  Maybe go see a different PT that has a different view on things. 

I am dealing with some VMO deficiencies as well.  My ortho had me doing one legged squats and I had no results.  I was dooing 200 a day and no results.  I went looking around for options and found electronic miscle stimulation last week.  I bought a until and tried it over the weekend.  My VMO has never had such an intense workout.  I can feel that the muscle is fatigued from use.  I couldn't be happier right now.

I suggest you do some research into alternative options.  Worst case, it will alleviate some frustration from continuing to do something that isn't working. 

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »
Did you do the one leg squatts fast or slow.  I do all my weightbearing closed chain exercises really slow.  If you can take 45 seconds to get to 90 degrees in a sqatt then you will really feel the vmo wrk.  Go slow on the way down and come back up in your own time.  Do between 8 and 12 reps 3 times a day.  You can do the same with squatts, two legs and one leg and also with lunges.

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »
What do you mean by normal standing squats?  I have tried normal squats if you mean both legs?  However when I do those normal squats I can tell Iím fatiguing my good leg and that all my body weight seems to be on the good leg.  I will try doing them again and see where that takes me, Lunges have never worked for meÖ..my body weight doesnít hold me up on lunges.   Anything else you know of that could help?

When you use your e-stim do you use it while doing SLR?

Thanks. 

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
When I use my EMS I do it laying or sitting with my knees bent.  I am getting 300 contractions a second and it is really helping me build muscle.  I have noticed the difference after only a few sessions.

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »
I would also suggest using e-stim if you can either find a PT that uses it or get one on your own. I tore my MCL badly in December and am currently recovering from surgery to fix it (7 weeks post-op now). Both times, my VMO has been so weak that I couldn't get it move or engage. My PT used the e-stim on it and within a few sessions there was definite improvement. I won't say it's necessarily the most comfortable thing to use (it gives a strong pins and needles feeling where the electricity is going in and sometimes the muscle will cramp a bit) but I would definitely give it a try. Also, finding a PT with a different approach can definitely help. Maybe look for a PT that specializes in knees. Or if you injured your ACL in sports, maybe try a PT that specializes in sports injury patients. I killed my knee in ballet and am currently going to a PT that specializes in dancers. Good luck! Don't give up yet!

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »
I am in the process of getting my quads to come back from a huge deficit. My PT has been hooking me up to a little e-stim unit, but the other days when I work with his assistant, she hooks me up to the big machine and toes Russian stim, I think. It has made a big difference for me. At first I couldn't do a SLR without a lag. So we've been working on quad sets, SLRs, and a few other exercises with the stim in place and it has finally trained my muscles to work again--especially my VMO. I have now gotten stronger than the machine, so we will be discontinuing it and adding weights. I could have continued doing all of my exercises without the stim, but I wasn't progressing. Getting my muscles trained and firing properly is speeding things up a lot.  So if your PT hasn't been doing this, see if you can work with one who does. It's worth a shot!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »
I guess I must be one strange patient. I've used the E-stim for 5 months and no improvement from any of those sessions!

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »
I'm not the norm. Ive seen 4 different PT's and all of them don't understand my weird situation. I've seen 6 Orthopedics and all of them are scratching there heads. 

I have significant functional defecits and my bone already has signs of osteopenia(bone density loss) which is not good!