Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: VMO gone  (Read 6579 times)

Offline kneeboy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: VMO gone
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 04:49:16 AM »

Have you been checked for nerve damage?

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 04:59:53 AM »
I guess I must be one strange patient. I've used the E-stim for 5 months and no improvement from any of those sessions!

There is definitely an art to it, in my experience. Do you use 2 pads or 4? Do you know what kind of stim they're using?

Or you could just have a different problem altogether. Nothing was helping my quad strength at all until I had my LPFL reconstruction. In fact, if I did very much in PT, my quads would shut down from irritation. I couldn't lift my leg at all.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
I'm the same. No decent VMO since last June. Have tried everything, the e-stim did nothing for me either. Also tried APOS therapy which is meant to get muscles working but again this didn't work on me.

I'm having another surgery next week so back to the drawing board after that I guess....
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
I saw the Orthopedic and was discouraged by the fact Iíve made no progress from a conservative approach in Physical Therapy.

He told me just now that my Arthritis is indeed severe.

Apparently Iím between Grade 2 and Grade 3 knee cap arthritis.

Grade 4 is the worst and I asked the DR if my arthritis can reach grade 4 and he says you can.

He is going to try giving me a series of Sylvan Halogen shots in the knee. It has the opposite effect than a cortisone shot that we tried before. Cortisone shots are to help with inflammation.  Sylvan shots are to help with cartilage loss and to help unload some of the arthritis.

We will try that for 3 weeks once my insurance approves those expensive shots.

If no relief from that there will be a surgery done on the knee cap to hopefully realign the cap so it can unload on some of the arthritis.

However the surgery can have the opposite effect because of my severe quadriceps loss. This surgery is very complicated to recover from and it could make the girth of my quadriceps worse since the strength in my muscle is really severe. The VMO which is the strongest of 4 muscles in the quadriceps has lost 4 cm of muscle loss. That muscle will definitely worsen after this procedure. The VMO is key to patella tracking, stability, and pain relief.

He tells me everyoneís stereotype thinks surgery will correct someone but it can have the exact opposite in cases like mine. 

I have to wait 7 days to find out if my insurance will approve these sylvan shots and go from there.  My knee cap along with my other complications is definitely contributing to poor quality of life

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
I did have the EMG/ Nerve Conductor test done. Everything was normal.

support