Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wear it out good, or so the surgeon says  (Read 2165 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Wear it out good, or so the surgeon says
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
Have any of you ever heard of that?  "Wear it out good." What he means is sit on recumbent bike / stationary bike with no resistance as long as possible daily.  He said if you don't have a life and can be on it 8 hours do it, or anything less - the key is no resistance.  He says the movement will "wear" the knee better than it is.  I've been trying this method and frankly its only causing pain.  I've had 3 scopes on that knee and the surgeon doesn't want to do a total knee, yet (Frankly I'd probably not have him do a total anyways) What are your thoughts on this?  eagle

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Wear it out good, or so the surgeon says
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
Is it silly season for surgeons or something????:-\

The only thing I have ever had said to me was by one OS who said to me that he advised cycling as the best exercise for bad knees as it kind of "rubbed everything down without impact" and waved a kind of magical smoothing motion at me. Personally, I have never found that cycling has smoothed my knees out although it has definitely helped leg muscles and stuff - done within reason. If I did it 8 hours a day even with no resistance I think I'd be sore though! I am not sure of his empirical logic in suggesting this to you....if it worked we could all just pedal endlessly and stop the need for TKRs!!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:57:56 PM »
All I can say is:  REALLY, I MEAN REALLY, REALLY!?  That sounds a bit counter productive to me and that much cycling would make my IT bands tighter than bowstrings.  I guess there is some logic to keeping the knees moving.  My question is if the movement causes pain, wouldn't more of the same cause a major flare?  Always did for me.   Anyhow, hope it does something more than cause pain for you.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
Dr.'s are crazy, I agree with the last post if it causes you pain, in turn it will cause a flare up and swelling. I would think that much on a bike would not do any good but maybe harm. I guess hypothetically speaking it makes sense that it could wear it smoother but you would also think if it is wearing it away it could be wearing away the good cartilage still in your knee. You should read my post, about being fustrated with my OS and you will see why I said they are all crazy. ;)
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
I have been told by several doctors including the chief of Knee Service at John Hopkins that a bike is the worst thing for a bad knee.  It simply makes things worse and increases the fluid build up and pain.

Please check the literature and maybe find a new doc

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »
I think this is one of the things Doctorís all have their own opinion about. And I also think it depends on what is wrong with your knee to start with.

In my experience, I definitely donít think biking (in moderation) is bad for your knees. Iíve always found it to be the best thing for my knee when rehabbing. Or the perfect warm-up on days itís just not feeling great Ė It gets everything loose, warm and muscles firing for me to continue with my workout and strengthening. My OS and PTís have always encouraged the bike from this strength/ROM perspective Ė nothing more, nothing less.

It sounds like youíve been dealing with problems for awhile and have given the bike a chance. You probably know if it helps you or not. Hours and hours more of it is not going to make it magically work better, but probably only make it worse If it is causing you pain. 
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline manda marie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:56:05 AM »
I feel your pain, I have had OS after OS tell me that, years of PT and nothing changed. I finally meet an OS who gave me a good answer. Sometimes you have to go with your gut, if you feel that what he or she is telling you is not making a difference speak up.

I hope this helps it helped me alot

Manda Marie

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
Surely though if you have mechanical issues with yoru knees then cycling could make them worse.  A lot of people ahve got tracking problems from cycling so I'm not sure its as good as people make it out to be.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 04:04:07 PM »
Thanks guys - I need (and want) the opinions and options everyone has.

I've tried the bike daily and by day 5 frankly wanted to saw my leg off.  So I've stepped back and gone every other day - I don't know about this.  Hamstrings so tight but my squishy quads feel better and knee so so, thus far.  I hate hate hate how the knee determines the day. 

As I've stated I know I can shop around and find someone to hack on it - not what I want.  I have lots and lots of what I call referred pain.  Its not totally in knee area but rather down about 3 inches and on lateral side.  Ice in the evenings is my friend!!!!  eagle

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 400
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »
Road cycling (and some static earlier in the year) has done my knee the world of good.  I have ridden about a thousand miles on the roads in the last 5 months - I am largely pain free, my strength and flex are improving exponentially.  Ok, still got tatty cartilage on lateral femur and tibia, knock knees and a missing bit of meniscus, and I cannot kneel or run, but am no longer considering a femoral osteotomy in the autumn!  I haven't done a lot else other than cycle, stretch a bit and go about my business :)  My physio remarked on my improvement in 6 weeks, I had probably cycled 350-400 miles in that time and concentrated on my gait.

Just make sure the bike, be it static or with wheels, is set up properly in a knee-friendly way :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 05:02:39 AM »
Cycling has been a completely essential part of my recovery, not just from ACL reconstruction but the chronic patellofemoral syndrome (caused by maltracking kneecaps) that proceeded it. Like Vickster, it's helped with every aspect from strength to flex.

However as allyd says, every situation is personal and it does depend on what's wrong with your knee whether cycling will be beneficial or not. Two things are definitely true: cycling places no impact on the joint, which makes it better for the knee and less likely to cause harm than many activities; and the gentle, repetitive motion encourages fluid circulation in the knee and helps keep it lubricated and moving smoothly. However, pain is definitely your best guide; if it's excruciating, it may not be the right activity for you or you may need to dial it back and work the length and frequency of sessions up more gradually.

Vickster's point about a proper fit is also a really good one. In many cases, poor fit is responsible for knee pain on a bike. Incorrect seat height is a particular problem; too low and the kneecaps will feel murderous, too high and the hamstrings get mutinous. Definitely get your fit checked out if you're doing a high volume of cycling, and see if that helps.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:21:21 AM by Snowy »
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 06:02:05 AM »
Cycling can either feel good or horrible on the knees. Before I got fixed I couldn't cycle at all without pain--resistance or not. If I had been told to ride a bike all day, I would have just died.  After I got fixed, it has been an essential part of my recovery and I wish I had more time to be on the bike.

Question, have you been riding a recumbent or upright bike? We've had discussions on here before about our very different preferences between the two. If you've been trying one and are finding it uncomfortable, then you might switch to the other and see if it is any better.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
Good discussion everyone, thanks.  I'm riding a recumbent here at home.  If I do go to the gym (change of scenery, etc) I ride upright. When I purchased the recumbent I totally did my homework and probably over researched, but hey, that's me.  The recumbent really fit me & my needs best.  Plus for the long haul its easier on the back than an upright.

I've not been on in two days - going to try it out again this afternoon.  I've convinced it is all a matter of balance / pain / activities / attitude / and good old fashion perseverance.  eagle