Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need Advice/Info...freaking out  (Read 1489 times)

Offline AlexEvans

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need Advice/Info...freaking out
« on: July 31, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
Hi. I had lateral release/torn meniscus repair surgery on 7/21. The surgery went fine my parents were told by my OS. (I am an 18 year old male.) I was told to take a toradol every 8 hours and and two percocet every 6 hours. I pretty much stayed confined in bed or in the living room watching TV because of the pain and swelling, and weakness in my quad.

My post-op was the following Monday 7/25. The doctor said I had more swelling than was to be expected and was a bit concerned. My father who has had 4 different knee surgeries said he was extremely shocked he wanted to take the stitches out. Nonetheless, he indeed took the stitches out, refilled my percocet, fitted me for my knee brace, and told me to begin my physical therapy the next day (tuesday).

On Tuesday, Therapy sucked, as expected, because I still couldn't lift my own leg, but afterwards I mainly was really sore but that was about it. I want to note here that the therapist told me this was the most swelling he had seen for someone with my procedure done, and was surprised the OS took the stitches out. One of his co-workers walked by and said the same thing. The week went by and things stayed about the same. Swelling is give or take the same, pain has come down some during the middle of the day, but goes back up around morning/night. I struggle to put any weight on it though I have done it some so I can take showers.

Friday rolled around for my 2nd PT visit. I was doing leg raises with a bolster under my knee when my PT walked by and said "Boy, dont get your blood on my table!" I had no idea it was bleeding, ( I guess because I couldn't see around the swelling) but anyway he handed me a tissue to wipe it up and then put a 2"x2" band-aid over it, and then neither of us thought twice about it. About 10 minutes later, I was laying flat on the table doing leg raises, when I noticed more blood. I stopped and looked down, and saw that blood was coming out of all 4 sides of the band-aid, and that it had become raised due to being filled up with blood. We took the band-aid off and obviously all the blood starts gushing down my leg, so we start putting gauze on it to try mop it up. The blood was EXTREMELY dark, almost blackish-purple. We held pressure on it, and about 15 minutes and half a box of gauze later, it still hadn't stopped. The PT called a nurse over from a Doctor's office across the builiding, who put a pressure dressing on it and wrapped it. The PT iced me down and sent me home, telling me to check it in a couple of hours to see if it had stopped bleeding, and if not, to call my OS.

2-3 hours later, it was still bleeding a bit, but my mother is a nurse and got it to clot well enough so that the bleeding was minimal. At this point, she told me to just get a shower or whatever. As i stripped down, I noticed a bruise on the back/side of my thigh about the size of a small dinner plate that had not been there the day before. (Now that 2 weird things had happened in a day, I was freaking out.) I went on with my day however..I began not feeling well. That night it turns out, I began running a fever of around 101.8. This REALLY started bothering me, as well as my parents, so we called our OS, and he said he couldn't explain it. He said to take tylenol for the fever and if it broke 102 then go to the ER. Discontinue PT for the time being and RICE it as I had been doing.

Well as of last night, I still have a 101.2-7 fever, still have the bruise, and I am oozing the blackish-purple blood on and off, nothing seems to be helping much, and nothing seems to be getting better. My parents are about to call the doctor again or go to the office monday. I am frusterated, feel like crap, and honestly kind of freaked out (especially with the doctor's lack of knowing what it could be). Does anyone have any idea what it could be, encouragement, or similar stories/advice about what to do. Thanks so much.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Need Advice/Info...freaking out
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
Geeee.....you're having a rough time....

Is the leg/knee hot? Red around the incisions? Any strange smell to the oozing blood? Have you got scope holes/portals or was it an open lateral release with an incision down the side of the patella? Is it painful to touch (more so than you'd expect after surgery - I know surgery makes things hurt!).

A lateral release can cause a lot of bleeding into the joint space if the cauterisation doesn't seal what they've released fully  - I'm no expert but that might be what has happened and if so, you might need the joint aspirating or at the very least need an OS to take a look and see what they think. The fever also is strange, and indicates a possible infection or something else happening. There are several people on here who've had bleeding post LR so hopefully someone better informed will be along soon.

To be honest I'd be thinking of getting checked out at the ER if you're feeling crap and are worried. Its far better to find out it is just a LOT of post op swelling than miss something like an infection. I had foot surgery and I knew something wasn't right when my toe was so much more swollen than it should have been 5 days post surgery. My surgeon was on the ball and without going into details he picked up a problem that could have been WAY worse had it been missed.

Good luck, and yes in the meantime elevate as much as you can, and ice (not directly on the skin) for 20 minutes in every hour to keep the leg cool. Don't over ice - this can be as bad as no ice! Perhaps avoid showering too until you're checked out.

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
Oh my your having a rough time.  Let me commend you on your descriptions, etc - very mature of you.  Having said that I'd be making calls and being seen.  I'm not an alarmist or anything but obviously somethings amiss here.  The feeling like crap possibly is the pain meds and add a fever and you feel like crap.  Has the swelling come down at all.  When you ice are you doing it on both sides of the leg / knee.  That sometimes helps.  I'm at a loss - keep us informed as to what happens, good luck,  eagle

Offline AlexEvans

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »
Ok everyone- I came back from the doctor today. It was a hematoma. The largest hematoma my doctor had ever seen. He attempted to use a needle to draw the blood, but it would not come out because the blood was starting to get to that clotted/congealed form. Needless to say, my OS literally squeezed 200 cc's of partially solid blood out of my knee. Probably the worst pain I have ever felt. The nurse threw up, and there was so much blood on the walls, table, and floor I literally put the room out of commission for the remainder of the day. Quite an experience to say the least...doc gave me antibiotics to keep infection out, and we are to continually let it drain and change the dressing 2-3 times daily. Hurting like all get out at the moment, hope I never go through that again. Just wanted to update you guys and thanks for the support!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
OMG - at least you now know! That sounds completely hideous - I really hope that things now start to settle down. You are being one courageous and robust individual! If you're going to have a complication, have a spectacular one is all I can say! Make sure you keep it elevated now, and take any pills required for pain and infection!

Keep us posted, so glad you've got things hopefully back on track.

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....