Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Right knee pain  (Read 241 times)

Offline patient787

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Right knee pain
« on: August 17, 2020, 01:48:35 PM »
Hi there. My right knee is hurting. Pain is at top of the knee cap and it looks 'collapsed' compared to the other knee which is fine. Was fine for a while but comes back. Any help diagnosing would be appreciated thanks. Some photo links below.

https://ibb.co/N9xrcYc
https://ibb.co/bKG11fk
https://ibb.co/qFgBM0G
https://ibb.co/bbDHPTG

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 107
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Right knee pain
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »
There is a space (suprapatellar pouch) just above the kneecap, but generally problems there cause swelling rather than the flattering you show. I suspect that you have intermittent quadriceps muscle inhibition on that side, which may be why the shape seems flat. Try measuring and comparing the girth about 2 cm above the patella on the two sides and see if there is any quadriceps muscle wasting on your symptomatic side.

That will not give you a diagnosis of the cause of the pain, but it may explain the intermittent flattening.
--
KNEEguru

Offline patient787

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 06:47:46 AM »
Hi thanks for your response. I measured and seems the same on both sides.

Some more information.. If you look at the right knee closely you will see a scar on top, about 7-8 months ago I banged the knee on a rock quite hard (the rock was underwater I could not see it) and there was a small gash and blood.

It has been a long time since that happened but I wonder if it the root cause of my knee pain. Only in the last 2-3 months have I started playing golf with long walking and that is when the pain has started coming.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 09:24:06 AM »
Have you consulted a physio to assess your muscle balance, strength and gait? Golf involves walking at standing on uneven surfaces, if the muscles arenít working properly to support the knee, then you could get discomfort especially as other structures may be stretched or under more load.

If you hit the bone when you cut the knee, you might have a bone bruise, these can be very painful and take many many months to resolve. Or it could be the scar tissue is tender, you could try massaging with bio oil to soften

If itís very bothersome, best see a well qualified sports physio
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:28:20 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline patient787

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
Hi I will see a physio next week, hopefully they can help. bone bruise is a possibility I suppose but still don't understand how knee can be 'collapsed' - everything I've seen is about swelling, so seems a mystery.. I hope to get to the bottom of it. cheers for help.

Offline patient787

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »
update: been diagnosed with quadricep tendinopathy

seems like a long road for this to heal, and been given physio to do. conflicting information online if it will heal with rest or not.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:19:09 PM by patient787 »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 07:13:41 PM »
If you have access to private healthcare/funds, it might be worth seeing if PRP might be an option as itís used for tendon issues if physio and proper rest donít resolve the issue. Also try to get into a pool to do some hydrotherapy, ask the physio about appropriate water based exercises.
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support