Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured Patella. Recovery time and what to do?  (Read 972 times)

Offline Pro Golfer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured Patella. Recovery time and what to do?
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
Hello everyone. I am a 36 year old golf pro, just fractured my knee (patella), didnt require surgery since it was not a complete fracture just a partial. doctor it would take 6 weeks to recover, and probably a few more after that of PT. I cant afford a day off let alone 2 months! Middle of tournament season and this has really made things very difficult. I need to get back asap, and would like any advice someone could give about recovery time, what to do while I am on crcutches to make sure my muscles dont go completely, and any other tips would be very helpful please.
Thanks!

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: Fractured Patella. Recovery time and what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
First things first - you're very lucky to not need surgery.  You'll probably have a complete recovery if you follow doctor's orders - which means two months of no golf.  Your quads can pull the pieces of your patella apart, that's why you've been immobilized.  The exercises I was cleared to do the first 6 weeks were:  pressing my knee down when prone (a mini-quad exercise that doesn't compromise a healing patella), toe circles (or writing the alphabet with your toe) which helps the ankle an calf, and glute tightening.  You can't hurry bone healing. 

If you are non-weight bearing, ask your doctor about partial weight bearing around the 3-4 week mark.  Once you are cleared for PT go at it with a passion and don't miss any home exercise sessions.  Finally, find a PT with experience working with patella fractures - rehab is different than with ligament damage.

Good luck!

Sue JS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

support