Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: can't get off the crutches....  (Read 1965 times)

Offline sarah123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
can't get off the crutches....
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »
Am 10 weeks post op after a trochleplasty to right knee after years of dislocations. ( am 44)I need to have left done at some stage but am going to wait til I am up an running on this one...I wish!!! Operation went well,leg lifts and bracing after immediately after surgery ....physio tedious but I am doing  it and have had no pain at all during this time and quads are building nicely and have full flexion. So technically all good. Physio and OS pleased with me but concerned that i'm dependent on crutches still. However, I just have lost my balance and confidence in walking unaided and clingto my crutches....I have had panic attacks and feel nervous and unsteady when I should feel elated that one knee is fixed and is now the strong one! Has anyone felt like this....is this normal because I feel so unormal with everyone saying 'shouldnt you be off those crutches by now!!!'.  Should I? Some practical advice would be so welcome. the OS says that all his patients with this type of op come with psycological baggage because we put up with recurrent dislocations for years and years and the rehab is long and slow because it is such a big op. I need to turn a corner here..for me, my sons and husband. thank you.
Sarah

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: can't get off the crutches....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
Letting go of crutches after using them for a long time isn't easy. If you can try gradually switching to just one crutch (pick which side makes you feel most supported and comfortable) and use only that one for say going from the bedroom to the bathroom or from the dining room to the kitchen to get something to drink. Doing this in the comfort of your home helps because you're familiar with your surroundings. When you get comfortable with those little walks, try to slowly increase the distance you walk in the house with one and eventually the amount of time you spend with just one. Once you can get around the house well with one and feel comfortable, try repeating the entire process (still inside the house) but with a cane and then again (finally) without. You can also use this same process outside the home but space it out so that you are at the cane or no crutch stage before trying to move from two crutches to one crutch outside the home. When using both crutches, if you can, try to walk as normally as possible while the crutches are there for support (physical and mental). That way you build good gait habits before you start to let go. If you feel comfortable letting go of the crutches at home (doesn't have to be immediate) but don't feel you can leave them home when you go out, that's fine. Just keep working on it at home and eventually you'll feel good enough to leave them at home (and eventually in a closet where they can collect dust. Good luck!

Offline sarah123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Thank you for your sound practical advice. Practice , practice practice is what I need to do, be brave, have faith and to feel blessed that I am in no pain and surgery went well... Will keep you posted. :)

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I've been on crutches several times.  I found the easiest way to drop one crutch was at a grocery store - using a cart and one crutch.  I put the crutch for the affected leg into the cart and kept using the other.  The cart provides the support you psychologically want on that side and your body can figure out how to weight bear with a single crutch.  It became an easy transition to leave the cart nearby and get something from a shelf, etc.  Then, I was able to transition to a cane (again used on the non-affected side).  I dropped the cane as soon as I was able to walk without a limp.  These transitions will possibly go very quickly for you once you get started because it's a mental trust issue vs a physical one.

Good luck!

Sue JS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
I totally agree with everything they've said.  But will add one thing - remove all of the throw rugs from the floor.  Except by the bathtub / shower.  I found when I did that I mentally knew the floor was even so I worked harded at loosing the crutch.  I think we all go through this to some extent.  Hang in there. eagle

Offline sarah123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
Thanks for this...absolutely right ...the eye looks for problems....any uneven surface and straight into panic mode......will keep going. Thanks, Sarah

support