Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: gushing pain / swelling 7 days post acl reconstruction  (Read 1482 times)

Offline muley7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
gushing pain / swelling 7 days post acl reconstruction
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
Hi All,

I had ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) 7 days ago , and for the first 4 days it felt great. I could stand and walk with the aid of crutches, and have been doing all the perscribed rehab exercises 5 or 6 times per day.

However, the last 3 days have been really discouraging! My knee, calf, shin and foot have become really swollen when not elevated (i.e standing, walking or sitting). Fluid in my leg literrally gushes (i can physically feel it dripping!) down to my foot and calf which instantly swell up when i stand or sit. For example, my foot looks like about 2 sizes bigger wehen this happens!

This is really making walking (even with crutches) extremely painful and diffecult, but I understand this is common... so my question is guys;

How much longer will this  gushing blood / fluid be around for? days / weeks? (because I go back to work in 1 week!!)

and, what can I do to get rid of it? Ice and elevation haven't helped so far.. should I increase / decrease activity?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:47:21 AM by muley7 »

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: gushing pain / swelling 7 days post acl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
I know you said you are icing and elevating.  But,........are you icing and elevating above your heart?  That really is the key.  I've found me laying totally flat then someone helping to get the pillows / wedges, etc under my leg works best for me.  Also I ice on top and bottom of leg which seems to help.

Its a weird feeling I know.  Of course you could call surgeons office and review with them also which is always a good idea.  Eagle