Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: This is a test.  (Read 1861 times)

Offline darsemnos

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
This is a test.
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:23:34 AM »
Lie down on your back. If you lift a leg up while keeping it straight, do the quads flex much?

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: This is a test.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »
My quads flex and they are weak, but yes they flex while doing this? Why?
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline darsemnos

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »
My quads flex and they are weak, but yes they flex while doing this? Why?

Mine, or at least the part of the quad near the kneecap don't unless my knee is very straight. Anything but perfectly straight and the vastus medialis and lateralis are very soft.

I think it's an indication of what's wrong with my knees.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Weak quads are not good for the knees. Do you do strenghtening exercises? If not you may want to start, the easiest is sit up and roll a towel up and put under your knee and press the towell down for 10 seconds and release and repeat atleast 20 times. I do more than that but you can start with 20 reps. and work up. Also straight leg raises are good, raise you leg and straighten it and lift and hold for 10 seconds and release and then repeat. When the quads are weak the knee is weaker.
Right leg amputee.

Offline darsemnos

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »
Weak quads are not good for the knees. Do you do strenghtening exercises? If not you may want to start, the easiest is sit up and roll a towel up and put under your knee and press the towell down for 10 seconds and release and repeat atleast 20 times. I do more than that but you can start with 20 reps. and work up. Also straight leg raises are good, raise you leg and straighten it and lift and hold for 10 seconds and release and then repeat. When the quads are weak the knee is weaker.

My quads aren't weak. I think they are soft when I do this because something is not lined up correctly, and I'm trying to figure out what so I can fix it.

Offline darsemnos

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:25:52 AM »
Can anyone else comment here? Just do the test. It only takes a second.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
If your quads arent engaging, it is likely a strength or muscle imbalance issue. It may not be the entire quad, as multiple muscles make up this area. i.e. your VMO could be weak, not firing and causing your knee cap to track incorrectly. Doing strengthening exercises should help correct.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline darsemnos

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:32:30 AM »
If your quads arent engaging, it is likely a strength or muscle imbalance issue. It may not be the entire quad, as multiple muscles make up this area. i.e. your VMO could be weak, not firing and causing your knee cap to track incorrectly. Doing strengthening exercises should help correct.

I think it's more an alignment issue. It really seems like things aren't lined up right.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:52:32 AM »
I'm a little confused.  Your "test"  is a exercise called a straight leg raise.  If you do 3 sets of 10 reps 2 or 3 times a day not only will your quads contract better they will get stronger.  If you rotate your foot slightly so your toes point to 10 or 2 (think of a clock) then you will isolate your VMO (inner quad muscle).
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline darsemnos

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:56:18 AM »
I'm a little confused.  Your "test"  is a exercise called a straight leg raise.  If you do 3 sets of 10 reps 2 or 3 times a day not only will your quads contract better they will get stronger.  If you rotate your foot slightly so your toes point to 10 or 2 (think of a clock) then you will isolate your VMO (inner quad muscle).

Well I'm using it as a test. And to me it doesn't make much sense that I can keep my leg extended without my quads contracting much. It makes me think my IT band is taking the load because the knee is bent inward or something else is similarly out of alignment.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
Really hard to say what is going on without actually visiably looking to see what you are saying. But, genetics often play a role in knee issues and it could be a alignment issue due to the way your knees "just are". Just like some people are bow legged and that causes issues with where your weight is distributed and can damage the cartilage. Is your pain due to a injury or did it just happen suddenly? What did the Dr. say is wrong? Ligament issues can cause mis alignment and so can having a worn down ankle or knocked or bowed legs. Your quads can be weak even when you feel they are strong. I am a amputee so I walk solely with one leg. My one leg has always been very strong because of this. I never imagined I would be told my quads were weak. I have good muscle tone all down my leg and don't feel like it is weak. My OS and PT both agree that my quads are weak though. Having weak quads can cause things to not be stable and therefore things begin to shift. For example my knee never looked knocked kneed before all this and now it does.
Right leg amputee.

support