Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anti-swelling tips?  (Read 908 times)

Offline PattyLaLa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anti-swelling tips?
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
Hi all!

On June 13, 2011, I had a patellar realignment with a lateral release.  It all went very well and I'm walking the streets with my cane and kind of hobbling down the stairs when I really need to.  I am going to PT and doing the exercises and icing, but I'm wondering if anyone has discovered any wonderful treatments for swelling and to soothe the incision site (it's not infected and healed up very nicely, but it gets hot and irritated probably because of the swelling).  I read about the Goode brace - any opinions on this?  Or any special soaks?  I am probably expecting too much of my poor knee as it slowly heals, but I would like to look for some nice remedies to give myself a little relief and patience. 

Best,
Jen

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Anti-swelling tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »
There is no magic cure for swelling...Ice and elevation (above your heart) are your best friend while your bone and soft tissue heals.  Compression stocking might help if you need to be on your feet for a long time but ice and elevation are still necessary.  There is no soak or brace that will solve post-op swelling.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline PattyLaLa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anti-swelling tips?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply KW - and for the reality check:)  I am going to look into the compression stocking idea.  There are times when I have to be more active than I should or want to, and that might help the swelling I get afterward, although sometimes a activity helps it. 

Best,
Jen

support