Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Injury Help  (Read 788 times)

Offline hezza-tigger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Injury Help
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
Hi,

I fell on my knee 4 weeks ago and had an x-ray which was fine.  My leg and knee keep swelling and I find it hard to walk and am in a lot of pain with it.  I had a lateral release op about 10 years ago and have also had two extra bones removed one from behind my knee and one just below the knee.

I am being referred for physio but am not sure how this will help.  Saw a doctor yesterday and their only comment was that my knee cap didn't move at all.

Anyone have any ideas on what it might be as Drs keep fobbing me off and i know its not right. 

Many thanks :)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Knee Injury Help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:36 PM »
Physio should help with the stuck knee cap. They will do different techniques to try and lossen it up. If your knee cap isn't moving it suggest something is definately going on with your knee. It could be a cartilage problem or scarr tissue from your surgery. Cartilage don't show on plain x rays. Do you have full extension and flexion? Usually if your knee cap won't move it won't go into the grooves that allows us to bend and straighten the knee. My knee cap is stuck in place and I can't fully straighten or bend my knee, I think mine is due to scarr tissue from surgery and feels like a piece of something is stuck under top of knee cap not allowing me to fully straighten.(probably cartilage) Physio is not a bad place to start but I might ask for a mri. Why did you have the bones removed? You said extra bones, meaning bones that shouldn't have been there? Did the pain go away after these surgeries and just now came back after the fall? Maybe you crushed some cartilage in there when you fell, really hard to say.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Knee Injury Help
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »
Hi There,

I would get a referral to see an OS that is willing to examine your knee properly and do a proper assessment. He/she may do a routine MRI scan to see if there is any damage inside the knee that x-rays would miss out on. You might as well see a physio as well as an OS as they can sometimes tell you what could be wrong with your knee.

Only an OS will what’s up with your knee and maybe some members may have some idea what’s wrong but cannot really give a full diagnoses. There should be some movement in the kneecap, are you tensed up that happened to me when my knee was being examined as I was not relaxed enough and could not easily move my kneecap!

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support