Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Vanessa's TTT 7/25/11  (Read 844 times)

Offline Nessieeee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Vanessa's TTT 7/25/11
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:45 AM »
Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting on this site. I've read alot of posts prior to my Ttt. I had a fulkerson done on my left knee today and a plica removal and arthroscopy on the right. I have been experiencing blood rushes very bad. I try to get up slowly but no matter how long I space it out the pain is horrific. I also have a bad burning feeling over my shin. Has anyone else experienced this? I am only 10 hours post op. Nerve block is wearing off. Was on morphine and dilaudid At surgery center. Now on percocet and flexeril. I have ace bandages, the cuff for the ice machine and an immobilizer brace on my left knee so I can't see the jncision. Should I take it all off and look at it? When I go into bathroom and sit down it feels like my leg is ripping open. I anyone has some advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :) -vanessa

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Vanessa's TTT 7/25/11
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:12:44 AM »
I'm also recovering from a Fulkerson TTT (I had mine done on 6/21). I'm not sure what to say about the blood rushes since I was lucky enough to not have any but I did have some of the burning feeling in the first few days (especially as the nerve block was wearing off). I think it might be related to the nerve block working it's way out of your system but I'm not sure. For me I found it helped if I put a pillow under my leg to raise it up a bit. You should probably leave the dressing and ace wrap on until instructed to do so. For me, I went to the physical therapist a day or two later (the first few days post-op are a bit of a blur to me) and he removed them. You should have some sort of post-op instruction paper-work that should tell you whether or not it's okay to remove them yet. Also, when you go to the bathroom, how is your leg positioned? You said you're in an immobilizer. Are you allowed any movement yet? Are you trying to sit with your leg straight out or having it bent enough to sit down? I've been propping my foot up on a small foot stool to go to the bathroom. This way I can keep it straight and be able to sit down relatively comfortably. Even if you're allowed to bend it, a stool might help as it would prevent you from having to bend it too far. Let me know if any of this helps. Good luck with recovery!
~Cathy  :)

Offline Nessieeee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
Hey Cathy, thanks alot! I am straight immobilized so when I'm sitting in bathroom I have a small foot stool to prop my foot on which helps. Because I can't bend it and had surgery on my other leg too it's hard to get up and down with straight legs. Luckily I have my dad and brother here to help hoist me up. I am staying in recliner with pillows under each leg to elevate them. Pretty comfortable until I start to move. Haha. Hope your recovery is going well. I was told not to start PT until two weeks post op. I see my os Monday which would be one week postop. Thanks for your reply it's nice to not feel alone in all of this. how did your recovery go? I heard day two and three are the worst. I'm starting day two right now..

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
For me, day two wasn't too bad because the percocet kept me pretty relaxed and I slept a lot, and the nerve block was still in my system (not sure why it lasted that long). It wasn't until the tail end of day two when the nerve block finally wore off. It hurt really bad and I just tried to ice it, take it easy, and sleep. It worked for a little and then I woke up in the middle of the night because it hurt so much. I took my next dose of percocet and ended up throwing it up a little while later (don't take percocet on an empty stomach). Day three was hard because the nerve block had worn off and I noticed that all the percocet was doing was making me drowsy. IT wasn't actually helping me with pain. I ended up ditching the percocet and taking the hospital dose of Ibuprofen (3 tablets instead of 2). Best thing I did in those first few days! I was able to stay awake more and felt less drowsy everyday as the percocet left my system and I managed to not be in nearly as much pain as when I was still of percocet. It still hurt if I tried to shift position and when I took it off the bed to go to the bathroom, but if I didn't move around too much it barely hurt.

I can't even imagine having both legs done at once. Yikes! Just one is bad enough. Kudos to you for going for it though. I saw the PT  right away but only once a week for the first 3 weeks and now I'm going twice a weeks. The first couple of visits we didn't do much. The first one he removed my dressing to see how it looked. I think on the second one he had massage my patella to make sure it didn't lock in place (the hurt really bad, not going to lie), had me do some quad sets (tightening the muscle that you would use if you were going to straighten your knee as far as possible or tighten before lifting your leg), and then tried to get me to slide my leg side to side from my hip while lying down. I couldn't get it to budge and I spent that entire appointment in tears. The third one went much better. I was able to move my leg out a little bit but couldn't pull it back in yet. The patella massage didn't feel quite as bad although it still hurt. He also started me on straight leg raises. I managed both sides and to the back lying down but could (and can) only do to the front while standing. He also has me doing ankle exercises so that I rebuild the ankle strength that I've lost by not bearing weight for over a month. PT is definitely hard at first and sometimes it's frustrating. But keep trying and give your body time to figure itself out again. Right now I'm working on getting back my range of motion. It's really hard because my knee doesn't want to bend much but it's slowly getting better. We also tried an exercise yesterday that took me probably ten tries to anctually get my leg to work. I was supposed to sit off the edge of the table with the brace unlocked and my knee bent and raise my foot off the floor to try and straighten my leg as much as I could. Easier said than done but it eventually worked. While I hate going to PT because it hurts, I could not have asked for a better therapist. He has gone through 6 knee surgeries himself and is able to help me from a "been there, done that, felt that" view point. He pushes me hard but I know he's doing it because he knows it will help.

The first few weeks are definitely going to be really boring. I suggest having a pile of books, movies, and snacks close at hand to keep yourself busy. Also, your butt is likely to get very sore from sitting so long. If you can get one of those pillows that is meant for long car rides and has a cutout for the tailbone it will help a little.

Good luck with your recovery too!

Having someone to help you move around and get you things you can't reach is a blessing in itself. Mom's been there for me and I don't know what I would do without her!