Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI Translation.... Will I need surgery?  (Read 986 times)

Offline thetruthh34

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI Translation.... Will I need surgery?
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:50:47 PM »
Hey guys well I am stunned I dont know why this happened but in my back of my mind I was worried it would be a meniscus injury and  the MRI confirmed it. I am still waiting to see a surgeon.

Back in December of 2010 I was at work carrying a large box down the stairs I missed the last step down and fell a little but I managed to catch my fall. I immedetialy felt pain on the inside of my knee I did not think anything of it the pain was not bad at all. But the next few months it still hurt I felt a poke on the side of my knee cap.

Here is what the MRI said can anyone help me out?

Technique:
Multi-planar multi-sequence images were obtained of the left knee.

Findings:
Oblique  increased signal is present in the posterior horn of the mid meniscus extending to the inferior surface from the free edge to the periphery consistent with tear. A small amount of adjacent fluid is present.

Minimal subcortical increased signal is present in the medial femoral condyles at the medial meniscal insertion. A small amount of increased signal is also present on the lateral aspect of the lateral femoral condyles. Findings are consistent with mild marrow edema.
Cartilage appears intact.

The lateral meniscus, anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments, extensor mechanism, lateral collateral ligament, and iliotibial band are intact.

Conclusion:

Flap tear posterior horn medial meniscus.

It says posterior horn but I am feeling no pain from the back of the knee just the front. Will this type of tear heal on its own? Thank you

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MRI Translation.... Will I need surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
I am no expert, but most of meniscus has no blood supply and thus doesn't heal.  And given your tear is still obvious on MRI after 7 months or so, maybe it is in the non healing area?

Do you have symptoms other than pain - if it is not interfering too much in your life and activities and not getting worse, you may be best to leave it - to avoid the potential consequences of menisectomy and surgery - but that's something to discuss with your surgeon. I left my lateral tear for 5 months, but it got worse and caused me all sorts of issues, hence getting it trimmed

Have a read of the meniscus section in the information hub and good luck  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: MRI Translation.... Will I need surgery?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:34:15 AM »
As Vickster said, this isn't likely to heal on its own.

Possible outcomes: (a) it stays as it is; (b) flap begins to interfere with function, e.g. catching, locking or giving way; (c) flap disintegrates creating loose bodied in knee which may interfere with function and/or act as an abrasive in the knee thereby affecting the articular cartilage; (d) a combination of b and c.

As suggested read up more about meniscus issues and possibly see an OS to discuss the options as they relate to yourself.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

support