Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: athroscopic/scope for Chondromalacia?  (Read 1406 times)

kev.

athroscopic/scope for Chondromalacia?
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »

Hello, this is my first post - it was a very fortunate that I was able to stumble upon this terrific resource.

About a year and a half ago, I was playing hockey, and twisted my knee going into the boards. It was a very strange feeling in my knee, a numb, prickly feeling, like a strong tap on your funny bone in your elbow.

I was diagnosed with patellar bursitis, and went to physiotherapy for 3 months. The injury prevented me from doing any running without significant pain, and I faithfully did all the physiotherapy exercises and treatments, while mixing in a bit of light cycling and elliptical. However, the problem got no better.

I got an MRI done, which indicated no miniscal tears, but "moderate chondromalacia", which seemed odd considering it was an "event" based injury, but I returned to physiotherapy. The pain and instability has degraded and is to the point where I cannot even kick the ball back and forth in the backyard with my son. Swimming, running, even cycling - quickly inflames the joint and has me hobbling for weeks.

After 4 more months of no progress, I went back to my GP, who set up an appointment with a orthopaedic surgeon, which I have next week.

Can anyone advise me of what questions to ask the surgeon, or what I can expect? It was a 3 month wait to get this appointment, and I want to make sure that I get some mileage out of the visit.

Thanks in advance!

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: athroscopic/scope for Chondromalacia?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »
Make sure the OS reads the MRI himself, and doesn't just read the report.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

kev.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »

Good advice, thanks. I have the image files to bring to the appointment.

How likely is it that a problem ie - tear, structural issue - may exist that didn't appear on the MRI?

kev.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:12:56 AM »
Well, on the advice of the surgeon, I went back to physio, which made the pain worse, and chronic. I had a second MRI which reads:

"There is full-thickness chondral loss along the apex and medial facet measuring 0.8cm in dimension. There is mild edema along the superior aspect of Hoffa's fat pad". Findings are suggestive of focal severe patellar chondrosis by patellar maltracking."

I haven't had a chance to talk to the surgeon yet.

Does anyone know what this means - ie: what are the chances I ever run or play hockey again?

Offline hi_nicoshi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »
hi, do u advise people with chondromalacia patella for surgery & athroscopy?

support