Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What's going on with my knee??? Has anyone else had a similar experience?  (Read 709 times)

Offline Sherri Lynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Feb. 3, 2011 I took a pretty good fall on some ice. I couldn't straighten my leg fully, not just because of the pain...at least I don't think so. X-ray and MRI showed nothing but an MCL sprain.  So I did 3 rounds of PT before they finally decided to do arthroscopic knee surgery on April 27th. The PA that assisted during my surgery claims when they first put me under my leg relaxed and went to almost straight.  Yet apparently even while under I was pulling my leg up in the bent position and while he fought to keep my leg down he had to let it go for fear of me hurting myself. 
      If I remember correctly I had a small tear in the LTP, they also removed some scar tissue, shaved some cartilidge, cleaned it up and was told it wasn't nearly as bad as they had originally thought, they were in and out in half an hour.  Thats all great! However...they sent me hom with my leg bandaged in the bent position.  :'(
     I'm almost 3 months post op, have done a round of PT and am currently on my second round of Aqua Therapy.  My flexion has improved, it never really was all that bad, just tight.  But my extension is still 20 degrees from normal.  I have been wearing a Dynasplint to bed for almost 2 months now...but still my leg looks deformed when I'm standing! I also have a puffy area behind my knee, not sure if thats normal or not.  PA on last visit suggested to OS that they go back in and manipulate and remove possible scar tissue...however surgeon doesn't want to and even said he would not be offended if I wanted to get a second opinion.  ???  I still have quite a bit of pain most days, and a stinging, burning sensation to the left of my knee. Pain more to the inside of my knee.  And my knee cap looks like its sticking out way further than it should. 
     I apologize for the length of this post...I just don't know what else to do, I'm scared to death that I'm going to be stuck with a crooked leg...I'd appreciate any advice and to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience.       
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:39:35 PM by Sherri Lynn »

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Sherri, sorry to hear about all your troubles with your knee. Your PA is probably right about it being scar tissue, and since your doctor won't be offended if you get a second opinion, why not go ahead and get it? You can't keep continuing with that crooked leg..
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

support