Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A regular with a new problem  (Read 659 times)

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
A regular with a new problem
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been posting on here for a while and have always found this site very supportive and helpful, so here goes. I had ACLr (hamstring autograft) at the end of August last year. My rehab went relatively smoothly, barring a few hamstring issues, and I was released to full activity in May. I gave myself a few extra weeks to build my strength up and then went back to football (a tentative little 5 a side match with friends). That was the 20th of June and my knee is still sore. When it didn't calm down to start with I went to my physio and he said it sounded a little like meniscal / cartilage damage, but couldn't find any problems when he tested it (lying on my back while he rotated the leg while flexing the knee). He then discovered that my IT band was pretty badly inflamed and thought that this may be causing the issue. I've been foam rolling and using voltarol on it pretty religiously and the inflammation seems to have gone down quite well, but the knee pain is still there. I know IT syndrome can still be an issue if it's tight rather than inflamed and snowy had suggested trying to get some IMS done which I'm going to follow up on.

The only thing I can think of that could have caused damage is towards the end of the match I planted my leg to stop (which is how I injured myself the first time round). I had turned my foot to about 90 degrees on the lateral side so I could push off again, so the lateral side of my knee was facing backwards. I felt my knee nip and click a little along the lateral side as I stopped but didn't think any more of it.

I've spoken to my health insurance company and I'm in the process of getting a referral to my original OS, though I have to wait for my GP to get back from holiday which means I won't get to him until the 10th of August. I've decided to wait rather than go to one of the other doctors in his practice as I trust his judgement.

Now, on to the reason for the thread. Whenever I had the operation in August, in addition the ACLr I had a partial meniscectomy due to a bucket handle tear which occurred at the same time as the ACL rupture. My question is this, has anyone else had a second partial menicectomy on the same side and gone on to play football or any similar sort of contact and/or cutting sport? I have this awful feeling that having got so close to going back to footie I'm going to have it snatched away from me again.

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: A regular with a new problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Okay, having felt brave yesterday I went down to the pitches and did some running. Did my usual 4 lap warm up and then after some stretching I did my cone runs. This taught me 2 things. Number 1, the knee seems to feel better during and straight after running, but starts to ache again as my muscles stiffen. Number 2, my hamstring strength has degraded quite badly in the time I've been trying to get the IT band to settle, which I suppose isn't unexpected, but is annoying.

I'm assuming point 1 would indicate that the problems I've been having with my knee of late are related to muscular issues. I'll still keep my appointment with my GP and see what he says (I'd like him to take a look at my hamstring as well as there is a sizeable gap in it) but hopefully things will have calmed down by then.