Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PRP injection for chronic knee pain?  (Read 944 times)

Offline badpairofknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PRP injection for chronic knee pain?
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:37 AM »
I've been suffering from a chronic knee pain for over a year.  I injured my knees from a half marathon in June 2010 (see my previous entry for details http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=54850.0). 

I've been to many orthopedic doctors.  Nothing clearly shows up on the MRIs/bone scan/ultrasound.  I used to have pain all around the knees.  Now, most of the pain is right below the kneecaps, so my current doctor "guesses" that I have problems with the tendons.  Some previous doctors thought I had problems with cartilages or alignment.  I can't stand/walk/sit with the knees bent for more than a short period of time.  I'm also starting to have pretty bad hip and back pains.  It's very miserable.   

My doctor recommends that I get a PRP injection.  PT has not worked, and he doesn't recommend a surgery since it's unclear what exactly is wrong with my knees.  Can anyone comment on this procedure based on their research or experience?  Is it worth getting it even though the exact problem is unknown?  My doctor charges $800 per injection (ultrasound guided).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:19:33 AM by badpairofknees »

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
Re: PRP injection for chronic knee pain?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
I had it done almost a month ago and thought I was beginning to see some real improvement --- until I fell down the stairs last night.  :( Now I'm wondering if I tore something new  :'(
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline Dizzy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: PRP injection for chronic knee pain?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
April 2010 I tweaked my knees on a half marathon (and well I kept running like a fool afterwards). Also have had pain all around knees that has slowly subsided to a couple of focal spots (mine are mostly medial now). I definitely "get" your problem. My issues spread to my ankle, sounds like yours went north.

Just a comment on ultrasound, I had two different Dr's do it on my left quad tendon - one didn't see anything definitive the other did. The one that did hit me with two PRP injections and in conjunction with some eccentric exercises I managed to put a check in the box next to that injury (others injuries still remain unchecked).

I just had another one of those situations crop up - an MRI showed tensyonivitis without a tear in an ankle tendon, but the ultrasound ended up showing an nice little tear. I guess my take away is that imaging isn't a 100% science.

As for the PRP shot, other than the money you don't have much to lose, I think they have been shown to be pretty safe. Although I think you will need some eccentric exercises to go along with it if you are going to get the most out of it.

4/10 running overuse injury/PFS diagnosis
6/10, 9/10, 1/11 PT
12/10 Euflexxa
12/10, 2/11, 7/11 Stem cell injections
5/11 to date - ART