Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture plus stem cells for multiple, large cartilage lesions  (Read 46470 times)

Offline badkneewilltravel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I just had microfracture plus my own stem cells for my entire trochlea, three spots on my patella, and two spots on my femoral condoyles in Kuala Lumpur.  Go to www.KLSMC.com.  Dr. Saw has done it in over 300 patients, is getting type two collagen, and can treat bone on bone indications.  Read the paper on the website.   three centers in the US are starting this up now.   This has many advantages vs ACI and microfracture alone, including the ability to actually create joint space and handling multiple lesions.   All done through a scope.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:05:48 PM by badkneewilltravel »

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Microfracture plus stem cells for multiple, large cartilage lesions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
Hi...I have chondromalacia in my right knee cap. I am planning to undergo cartilage transplanatation surgery. Please keep posting ur recovery from surgery. Also can u let me know the cost of the surgery and the rehabilitation time period before you start doing ur normal activities.

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »
I couldn't find the centers in USA.  Can you list them here?
Thank You in advance.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »
The centers doing it in the US are: a Dr. McGuire in Anchorage, Alaska, a Dr. Broyles at the Bone and Joint Clinic in Louisiana, and Wake Forest University.   Wake is still around 6 months away I think.  Alaska just did its first case, and Broyles has done one case.  Broyles uses BMAC cells instead of PBSCs, and I think PBSCs are better. 

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:05:55 AM »
All three docs at these locations spent weeks in Kuala Lumpur copying Saw's methods to the closest extent possible

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 03:21:26 AM »
The cost in Kuala Lumpur with Dr. Saw for me was around $22,000 and included the micro drilling surgery, stem cell harvesting, 5 stem cell injections with HA, 45 days of physio, pre op appointment,  3 nights in the surgical ward, 2 mris, x-rays, pain killers, and an ice machine.  Recovery is roughly the same as microfracture or ACI.   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:25:11 AM by badkneewilltravel »

Offline fastglycolytic

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »
Dr. Saw's approach seems to be one of the best I have run across. The results posted on his site are amazing. I have many questions for you. Would it be okay if I emailed you directly, I am at [email protected]?

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »
I think you typed in your email address incorrectly.   Either retype your email address or ask the question on the board.   But his approach is the best in the world I believe, and it should be getting more attention.  I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:38:19 PM by badkneewilltravel »

Offline bananzaboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »
Hi bad knee. How is your recovery going? I recently met Dr Saw in Paris. He seems very genuine in that he just wants to help people. I am very close to needing a TKR but he feels he can buy me time- I'm only 31! I am fairly confident that his procedure does work. However I have a number of considerations such as the cost and fact that I would have to stay in KL for up to 8 weeks- I have a young family. Can I ask if you live in KL or had to travel and stay there? If you had to stay, where did you find accommodation and how much did it cost? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 05:40:09 AM »
I came in from the United States to Kuala Lumpur.  You need to stay 5 weeks to cover the surgery and five injections.  Hotel prices are inexpensive, but airfare business class was expensive.  I had two young kids too, but it was worth it.  I am five months post op and quite happy so far with my result.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:03 AM »
I stayed at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur, which was five stars and cost around US$150 per night with breakfast.   It is close to the surgery center and they were good about helping me out. 

Offline bananzaboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:02 PM »
Hi bad knee. Thanks for getting back to me. Glad to hear you are doing well. I would like to try the stem cell procedure but there are a lot of factors that mean it is not straightforward. :'(

Offline bananzaboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »
This is a link to a useful article by Dr Saw:

http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/articular-cartilage-regeneration-with-stem-cells

In my most recent communication with him, he said that the final results from his trial will not be published until the end of 2012 at the earliest.

Offline bananzaboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
To SW17

I initially got in touch by emailing Dr Saw's clinic. He got back to me and then had a look at my scans. It just so happened that he was coming to my part of the world to present at a conference. I took the opportunity to go along and meet him. Try emailing via the contact email on his clinic website.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Offline SW71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »
Thanks Bananzaboy, I appreciate your reply.

I will contact Dr Saw at his clinic, and also will try Dr Lee as well. I was going to try to exhaust stem cell investigations in Australia first, but this is going to take a while so I may as well kick off some other lines of investigation while I'm waiting. I'm also planning to do the initial $200 remote consultation with Regenexx. I've sent off the request form for Regenexx, so this will probably happen first.

1984 L patello-femoral recon
1985 R patello-femoral recon
2005 R TTT + LR
2006 L TTT + LR
2011 Grade IV retro patellar lateral trochlear chondral defects, currently using PRP