Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Retinaculum Release/Torn Meniscus  (Read 818 times)

Offline AlexEvans

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Retinaculum Release/Torn Meniscus
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »
I am having a lateral retinaculum release surgery done on 7/21/11 and have a few questions for those who have been there. 3 doctors also believe that I have a torn meniscus, but my main OS doesn't agree with them. He says he will look while he is doing the lateral release, and treat on his judgement while in surgery. What is the typical time on crutches, bed rest, not being able to drive, etc. Any sort of general day-wise time frame of how things went would be wonderful and would be of great help to me. Also, how bad is the pain from these procedures generally? And was an immobilizer or some other form of brace given to you guys in your procedures. I also heard from some people that the pain is pretty excruciating the first week as well as well as the muscle they cut inhibits the moving of body weight well. I also heard that it takes a week or so to be able to tighten your quad and top of you leg, etc. Quite frankly, I am a little discouraged now and so any form of information or encouragement would be wonderful.

Thanks- Alex

Offline mommyvix30

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lateral Retinaculum Release/Torn Meniscus
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
Alex -
I just has a lateral release done on Monday and I was walking on it the same day with the use of crutches just for support. Today is wednesday and I can walk on it just have to go slowly. I have been icing 20mins on and 20mins off for the last 3 days. If you just have a lateral release you wont be in a brace but if you have a miniscus tear you will and you'll be on crutches for about 2 weeks. I had a torn miniscus in 2007 and that was about my time frame for the crutches with that surgery. my knee is def swollen and sore but nothing to bad I can even bend it (not a full 90 degrees but still). I drove myself to my post op this morning but trust me it hurt alot so unless you have to drive after a couple of days I wouldn't. It all will depend on exactly what the OS does to your knee. If it's just a lateral release it wont be to bad. If you have a tear that needs to be repaired your recovery will be alot different and the pain level may increase. Good Luck!
02/2007 - Lft knee pain started
05/2007 - arthoscopy bilateral minscus tear and later release
02/2011 - reoccuring lft knee pain
05/2011 - MRI - shows bone bruising, no tears
06/2011 - Bone Scan Result Normal
07/11/2011 - OS apointment
07/18/2011 - surgery left knee LRR, bone shave, and repair