Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus tear and complete MCL  (Read 885 times)

Offline camiecm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus tear and complete MCL
« on: July 18, 2011, 03:50:14 AM »
My son had a second complete MCL tear, this time with a meniscus tear.  The Ortho talked about surgery to Meniscus but wanted to wait to see what the MCL does.  He is in a hinged knee brace and went walking the other day (about a month after initial injury).  He is now more sore than ever, and swelling again.  We see the ortho again in 2 days, but, were hoping things would be healing (or healed).  From what he said MCL's generally heal well. Could this pain be just from the meniscus?  How will they know if the meniscus has healed any? Or will we have to pay for another MRI? Any help is appreciated.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Meniscus tear and complete MCL
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »
Generally the MCL can repair itself as it has a very good blood supply - sometimes it can take a while though. The pain is probably the meniscus tear - I'm in the same boat right now. I am attempting to hang on to what is left of my medial meniscus and am going down the physiotherapy route first.

But I was teaching sailing all day on Saturday, hunched up in a small sailboat and I now have a lot of dull persistent pain which changes to a stabbing pain when I walk. The pain is just below the medial line of the knee cap and on the inner side (medial meniscus is torn). I cannot stretch the leg without pain, so I am not so sure I can avoid a meniscal trim in the near future.
By placing your son in the brace the surgeon has given him a constant reminder that his knee is not right and it will allow the MCL to heal. How fast or slow it is depends a great deal on your son. A lot of people start back too soon when the pain diminishes or disappears all together. This often compromises the newly healed tissue and can set the process back or stop it all together.

As to whether you have to pay for a new MRI or not that depends on where you are in the world and what kind of health insurance system you have. If the surgeon wants an MRI to aid the diagnosis for the MCL I would expect most insurance systems to cover it, though in some countries there may be a longer wait for an appointment than others. In this case it is up to you to decide whether it is worth the extra cost to go privately to speed up the process. There are also physical examinations that can help with the assessment of the healing process.

The meniscus can heal itself (that's what I'm hoping for), but only if the tear is small and in the red area around the edges. This is where there is a blood supply. If the tear is in the white more central area then there is little chance of it healing so an arthroscopic operation is the usual course of action. On seeing the damage, the surgeon will decide whether to suture (repair) the tear or to shave away the torn section in thin sections until there is no damaged tissue. The first action is the better as you do not lose any meniscus but it involves a longer rehab, sometimes involving a period of non-weight bearing. The trim is done by shaving wafer thin strips of damaged tissue trying to preserve as much of the healthy tissue as possible.

I hope that helps - just get your son to follow the regime the OS has prescribed for him and keep your fingers crossed that things do heal, albeit maybe a wee bit too slowly for a young lad!

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline camiecm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus tear and complete MCL
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:12 AM »
Thanks for your help Sue!  We went to the Ortho today.  The MCL still isnt healed, but he said it would take longer because it was a complete tear.  We are having arthroscopic (forgive my spelling) for the meniscus.  Hope all goes well with you,and it heals quickly!