Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery this morning, feels exactly the same  (Read 1403 times)

Offline zeech

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery this morning, feels exactly the same
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:14:20 AM »
I have (had) a torn medial meniscus on the anterior and posterior side. Today I went in for arthroscopic surgery and had it snipped. The doctor said they don't sew these, they just snip them. Tonight I feel exactly the same as I did before surgery, with pain behind my knee on the inside. Does this not bode well for me? Because I would think that after surgery you would have generalized pain and swelling but not the exact specific pain you had before the procedure? I guess I don't understand how snipping away cartilage is going to reduce the pain and I wonder if it will?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Surgery this morning, feels exactly the same
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:08:25 AM »
Good grief man, you've undergone surgery TODAY and they have SHAVED the tears out of your meniscus - of course it is going to hurt  ::) ::) ::)

Whether they go in and do something major minor or just take a look around, your knee has been operated on. Your expectations are totally unrealistic if you expected to come out of the surgery on the same day with no pain.  :o

The tissue has undergone trauma and it is telling you to take it easy until it has recovered from being abused. It may take a few days or even a couple of weeks. You can help it by following the protocol they gave you - ice, elevation and compression are your best friends when you are not doing the exercises they gave you. This reduces the traumatic swelling that occurs after every surgical intervention.

If it is any consolation I had a similar procedure a couple of years ago and was back skiing within 3 weeks and doing a full day's teaching on skis at 6 weeks. I'm currently being treated for more tears in the anterior horn of the medial meniscus in the same knee. As they are in the red area we are going the non-operative way for the time being. We are using massage, manual manipulation, trigger point therapy and electrical impulses to stimulate the blood flow - hurts like hell but it is if it avoids another trim so much the better. There is not much left in there and I want to keep what's left for as long as possible.

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »
Good grief man, you've undergone surgery TODAY and they have SHAVED the tears out of your meniscus - of course it is going to hurt  ::) ::) ::)

Seconded!! In fact if you only have the same pain after surgery you're onto a winner! I had foot surgery after suffering big toe arthritis for years and after surgery the next day I had more pain than it was possible to imagine in ALL sorts of areas of the foot including the joint (that actually no longer existed as it had been sawn, pinned and plated!).

Relax. Elevate. Ice. Do your exercises to start getting ROM back and the quads firing. Snipping the meniscus is done so that the damage is treated and contained as I understand it, so there is less chance of bits being ground down and getting locked in the joint. You may only have two small surgery holes but your knee has basically been inflated up like a balloon, instruments stuck in it, fluid swished through it, and then the holes closed up. It will hurt for a bit!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
Hi There,

Agree with the others of course you going to feel pain after surgery and it took me 18 months to fully recover from my scope. You really need to be more patient post op as the has knee been through a lot of trauma being cut open so is bound to feel sore and uncomfortable.

RICE and keep on top of your PT and the pain should slowly become less and less and most importantly be patient!

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline zeech

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 02:28:40 PM »
Thanks everybody,

You know I wouldn't have been so concerned if my surgeon wasn't such a cowboy about it: "50% of my patients walk out of here with no pain whatsover. You might feel like you can play tennis the next day, but please rest."

In fact, I woke up at 4 a.m. with excruciating pain. I took a pain pill and was able to get back to sleep. Now its 9:30 a .m. and I'm a little better, but I can't walk on it at all! I was able to walk out of there  yesterday no problem but now I am stiff and can't put any weight on it at all. They probably should have given me crutches. Today I will change the bandages and see what's under that giant basketball that has become my knee.

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »
Remember that everyone heals differently.  When I had a my first knee scope, I walked immediately after surgery.  I had pain but it wasn't that big of a deal.  Take it easy and remember to keep your leg elevated.
11/29/2010 Lateral Release left knee
1/2011 Cortizone injection left knee
4/1/2011 Lateral Release right knee
5-6/2011 Supartz injection series (5)
12/12/2011 TTT and Lateral Release repair left knee

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
Remember we do all heal differently.  However large or small a knee surgery is the knee isn't happy about it.  It gets mad and starts swelling and screaming "I didn't like that."  Take it easy - ice ice ice & elevate above the heart.  Try some slight heal slides - muscles aren't happy with you either.  eagle

stay ahead of the pain - its he** when the pain controls you rather than you controlling the pain

Offline zeech

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »
Here is my photo. The upper left looks really bad.