Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Had a fall last night onto my knee...  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Had a fall last night onto my knee...
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »
I have a really bad knee, need a replacement soon. Well last night I was walking and my crutch slid and I came down with all my weight onto my knee and left elbow. ( I am a amputee so on crutches) The pain was horrible, it was so bad I almost passed out. Now this morning I can barely move it and it hurts really bad when I stand up or try to walk. I am scared I may have done more damage to my already horrible knee. I am icing it now to try and get some swelling down to see if that makes it better. If you break your pattella wouldn't there be a huge amount of swelling? My knee is only slightly swollen and is usually a little swollen normally anyway, but feels horrible. Any advice for this kind of thing is appreciated. Thank You!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Had a fall last night onto my knee...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....you poor thing.  :(  I think I'd be getting it checked out at the Emergency Dept to be honest. If you can't put weight through it and the pain isn't improving you may have a fracture. You don't always get huge swelling with breaks and fractures - my Mum shattered her wrist and had almost NO swelling but inside she'd got a nasty break. Can you bend your knee at all? Can you "feel" your patella at all or is it too painful? I think you need a check over. You might have dislocated something and it went back, that can cause horrific pain bad enough to make you pass out. I really hope its just bad bruising, you don't need anymore things with this knee going on...

Keep us posted and good luck,

Hugs xxxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:38 PM »
Lottie, I can bend it to a point and then it hurts bad, but  have a knee that don't bend fully anyway so not sure how much of that is due to the fall. It is obviously swollen but not overly swollen. I cant stand on it for long at all and get pain in the back of my knee and down my calf if I try to straghten it. I also have a bruise on my knee cap that has just started to show up. I think I will continue icing today and maybe give my os a call tomorrow. I am at work right now sitting behind a desk and it is causing more swelling, can't wait for my day to be done. lol!
Right leg amputee.

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:38:53 AM »
The test they use in the ER for a fractured patella . . . from a prone position (laying down), straighten your leg/knee and raise it up . . . if you cannot raise it, odds are you have a break.  If you can raise it, odds are you don't . . . but could use an x-ray anyway to be sure.  When I broke (crushed, actually) my patella a couple of months ago I had no pain (body went into the endorphin-producing state of shock) and my knee swelled up like a soccer ball.  The swelling was due to landing on it and breaking lots of blood capillaries.

Best advice - head to the ER to find out.  If it is fractured, you don't want to exacerbate the condition.  Good luck and let us know what they say.

Sue JS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2 102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
Guess I should have been more worried about my elbow then my knee. My knee is fine it was very sore for a few days but now is back to its regular achey self. My elbow however not so lucky. I had xrays and they showed no break, so they said I just have a bone contusion. However my elbow has gotten worse over the last few days, I now have a numb burning sensation on the inside of my elbow that runs down to my pinky and ring finger. I am thinking nerve damage or something. This feels way worse then a bruised elbow. I walk with crutches and it is completely impossible to use this arm. Thinking of calling my gp for a follow up.
Right leg amputee.

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
You have my sympathy. I wiped out on the stairs yesterday and can manage to walk on the bum knee some but mine is all swollen too and i'm wondering if I've ripped/torn/damaged something new or if my knee is just mad at me over what may qualify as injury #4. Sigh. I couldn't get a dr to see me yesterday.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:55:20 AM »
great news about your knee and a bummer re: the elbow.  It sounds like a bruised nerve at the least -- ice is always a first course of therapy (along with tylenol) . . . and maybe an elbowgeek website???

Sue JS
5/10 Staples out
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2 102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Yes very glad my knee is ok;) Just need this elbow to get better now. Thank u
Right leg amputee.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:48:17 PM »
Good news on the knee! I fell onto my bum last winter in the snow - was so glad not to have fallen on my knee I also didn't realise I did something to my elbow....it still hurts now in certain activity. I get a burning sensation where you describe, it sounds like you have a bruised or pinched nerve. Try and avoid anything like sitting with it bent onto a mouse or keyboard without proper support as it can feel like an RSI type pain after a bit. I also got some tubigrip and that helped with the general achiness of it. Even now mine isn't right - I feel it at the gym as I do a lot of weights and resistance training and every so often something cracks into place....eeeekkk....., I have never had anyone look at it, but I am sure I did something significant to it too when I fell!
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
Yeah Lottie, I think it is nerve issues. I have taken the ace bandage they told me to wear off because it was making the pains worse. Since taking it off I have alot less numbness in my fingers. Gonna keep a eye on it and see how it goes. Wish I didnt need this arm to walk with, maybe it would heal if I didn't keep using it.
Right leg amputee.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:44:37 AM »
Worth seeing a PT.  Sometimes you can relieve the symptoms through appropriate stretches that affect the nerve sheaths.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:26 PM »
I havn't been on the forum for a few months and jsut noticed yoru thread.  It frightened the s**t out of me when I first saw it but I'm really glad to see your doing OK with it now.  I hope the elbow get's better soon.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »
Thanks you all! I went to my GP for a follow up. It is a nerve issue and should get better with time. He put me in a splint designed to take pressure off the nerve. It feels better already! I am having alot less pain and numbness, just don't know how much more I can stand with this splint on and these crutches. lol! I see the knee doc next Tues., we will be talking about replacing this worn out knee of mine. Wish me LUCK!
Right leg amputee.

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 04:55:29 AM »
Lots of luck with your doc next week!
5/10 Staples out
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2 102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

support