Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PKR vs. TKR - Recommendations  (Read 6782 times)

Offline investor54

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PKR vs. TKR - Recommendations
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »
Hi All,
My OS wants to give my Microfracture a year to determine success or failure.
His next step suggestion would be a PKR.
I am 62 and pretty active.
Please reply with the pros and cons of the PKR and TKR ... success rates, longevity, complications, etc.
Thanks.

Offline mlbbarry

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: PKR vs. TKR - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »
I noticed nobody replied to your post... Well in my opinion at your age a tkr might be more practical.  The newer models do last longer then ten years.  Some are even boasting 30+ years, studies only, don't think anyone has actually gotten that far, but are working towards it.

I currently have a 30+ year meek in my leg and am only 8 months out.  I will tell ya, a pkr is still a big recovery and may only get you another 5 years then you have to go in for the tkr anyway.  I almost went the pkr route then my doc convinced me otherwise.  Glad he did because I would not want to do this again in five years.  My implant is coming along very nicely, as far as soft tissue, not so much. But that just depends on the person.

No matter what the decision is yours alone.  You will finds some very helpful reading in the tkr section of this forum. Good luck, Monica
88' torn ACL, MCL, LCL repair
92' clean up
95' clean up
96' lateral release
99' meniscus repair, and clean up
2004 meniscus repair, & failed micro fracture attempt
2010 April, arthritis clean up and meniscus repair, poor outcome.
2010 Nov. 8th tkr left knee

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
My opinion is such that if you are very active and can continue your active lifestyle with pain management, hold off on the TKR/PKR until your lifestyle is greatly affected.  I don't mean you are swelling after 18 holes of golf or spending the day scuba diving.

I could do all that and because I had pain, I let them do a TKR.  Yes, 96 percent are successful.  If you are like me in the 1 percent category your active life is over and pain is continuous.

If you do decide to have the TKR as it is your decision alone, NOT THE DOCTOR"S, make sure you read and educate your self on AF on this site and other complications.  Many of the OS do not know the warning sides of a complication and either don't get it right or get it right too late.

I am not trying to scare you as a TKR is safer than walking across the street....unless you are in that 1 percent.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I had a PKR in September, 2008. I had a Biomet Oxford Unicomparmental implant put in my medial compartment of my right knee. 17 months after it, I had pain in the rest of my knee, attributed to OA where there hadn't been OA at the time of the surgery. I had already scheduled a TKR in my other knee (April 2010) so I had to wait to recuperate from that=and then due to complications of that (scar tissue next to my knee implant)=I didn't have a revision to a total knee until March 2011,  but my knee was ready. Looking back, I wish I had gone directly to the TKR with that knee. It was a waste of a surgical procedure=even though I felt so much better after the original PKR. I should have known more OA would develop in the rest of my knee. I know other people from the days I posted here regularly, at the time of my PKR, who have had their PKRs revised to totals, within 2-3 years following their surgeries.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:37:04 PM »
Hello,

My OS contributed to an article (in our local newspaper) regarding PKR's.  He stated that there are "no free lunches" and most PKR's only last a few years, at most.  In addition, they can make a TKR more difficult because of bone loss.   

I agree with the other posters...given your age a TKR might be the better way to go.  Absolutely read, read and then read some more.  Also, another opinion might help you decide.

Take care,
Diana

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:41:06 AM »
I had my first PKR 2 1/2 years ago and the second last February.  I carefully studied my options before,just as you are doing.  What I found was that today the partial replacement candidates are being screened more carefully than when they began and the designs have improved as well. This has significantly changed the statistics for longevity for a PKR. Current expectations for someone properly selected is 15-20 yrs. or more. Because there is less bone removed, should I need a TKR eventually it will be be an easier, not more difficult procedure than a repeat TKR.  One of the journal articles said it was more similar to operating on a virgin knee.

I am a teacher,63, and fully expect to live to an active 100(I have great aunts alive of 100 and 103).  I will no doubt have another set of knees at some point and I want to have as good a result as possible. Considering the bone loss that goes with aging, I believe I will have .an advantage in the future from my PKRs.

Good luck in reaching your decision.

Linda :)     
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012