Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Prob meniscus tear; PT had me doing squats - now much worse  (Read 1281 times)

Offline momdogz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
First noticed injury in April, have been to primary MD and an orthopod; probable meniscus tear but I think they were trying to rule out pain from OA (though I was quite sure it was meniscus).  Have been getting PT, and postural realignment seemed to help intermittently.

Pain is medial aspect of knee, at it's worst it wakes me up/keeps me up at night.  My knee also feels full like there is peanut butter wedged in it somewhere; clicks/pops and catches.  I've lost some extension ROM, and now also flexion.  I stopped working out and riding my bike (pain).

On Tuesday, the PTist had me try some squats with the red ropes.  I was really hesitant, but went as far as I could until it just started to hurt.  I left the PT office more lame than when I went in.  Wednesday, more lame/limping (I'm a nurse and do a lot of walking), Thursday really hard, Friday - awful.  I tried to make the 1 hour drive home and had to have my husband come get me because I was in agony (it's my right leg and I have a standard transmission truck).  I'm now walking on crutches, and taking opiate analgesics at night so I can sleep. 

This may seem too obvious to ask, but would like feedback.  I should have listened to myself about the squats, right?  I probably made the meniscus tear worse?

I did have a long awaited MRI this morning, and have another ortho appt. on Tuesday, fortunately.  I think it's time to take care of this - I can't walk!

Offline momdogz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Prob meniscus tear; PT had me doing squats - now much worse
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »
Disappointed; 39 views and no responses.  Maybe no one else that viewed had had meniscus problems.  Will try another forum.   :-[

Offline dennisd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »
Hi there,

I'm dealing with a possible miniscus tear myself after having just seen my OS. In terms of the squats, you more than likely should have listened to your gut. As for making it worse, I would not be able to say yes/no either way. Fortunately you got the mri done and should get some more info from there.

Best I can say is hang in there and hope there are answers in the films.
LR 11/14/02
PCL Recon 2/14/03
Scope 3/12/03
Oct 2003 Left knee surgery
1/04 yet more knee surgery

Offline momdogz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:11 AM »
thanks much, Dennis - I appreciate it.

Offline dennisd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:00:22 AM »
I'll do what I can. The boards are definately a lot quieter than they were when I first joined them. Back 7 years ago a post would not go 5-10 minutes with out some one saying some thing. I guess much like I did and moved on with life. Wish to heck it was as active though, that would help a lot of people.
LR 11/14/02
PCL Recon 2/14/03
Scope 3/12/03
Oct 2003 Left knee surgery
1/04 yet more knee surgery

Offline momdogz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
Got results of MRI during appt with NP today:  Complex tear of the medial meniscus posterior horn and body segments, with 2 displaced flap tear components.  Leaking Baker's cyst (10cm in size), leaking proximally and distally (no wonder my calf muscles feel weird and sore!).
MCL complex injury with partial tearing of the posterior oblique ligament and mild sprain of the superficial component of the MCL.
Knee joint effusion (no surprise) wiht proliferative changes and tiny intra-articular debris (doesn't feel so tiny in my knee!).

She gave me cortisone injection which I'm starting to regret; heart racing already (and my heart rate is usually 60-70 at rest, not 100).  Said to wait two weeks before seeing surgeon.  I asked why the wait when there is obvious damage that cortisone won't fix, and she said it's best to try all conservative options.  I agree with conservative options, but at this point - I've been dealing with it since April and PT has not helped (it's getting worse) - I think it's time for the arthroscope.  I called a surgeon today and made an appt.

Offline Dizzy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:14 PM »
Not sure if you are looking for input, but I would agree with what you are probably already realizing, given your symptoms, squats (I assume we are talking squats not mini squats) were probably a bad idea. Don't feel bad, my idiot PT had me do the same thing (which made my PFS unbearable for about 6 weeks and set me back in a huge way). Lots of people on the board have similar stories - suprising that so many PTs still think squats are a good idea.

4/10 running overuse injury/PFS diagnosis
6/10, 9/10, 1/11 PT
12/10 Euflexxa
12/10, 2/11, 7/11 Stem cell injections
5/11 to date - ART

Offline momdogz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 12:06:54 AM »
That is helpful, Dizzy.  I'm an RN, but even I can feel like I'm being an ungrateful or complaining pt. when I really DO need to advocate for myself when I think that a health care professional is telling me to do something I think is a bad idea.

thanks!

support