Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee brace after fulkerson and ligament repair?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee brace after fulkerson and ligament repair?
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:12:04 AM »
I just had a Fulkerson TTT and repair to my MCL and LCL done 2 weeks ago. I'm really sick of the giant black immobilizer that my surgeon gave me. I was just wondering how long I might be stuck in it. Also, after the immobilizer goes away is there usually some sort of transition brace or would I just end up going from an immobilizer to nothing?
~Cathy

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
Re: knee brace after fulkerson and ligament repair?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »
Hi cathy,
Don't know the protocols of ttt & fulk', but I was in a full djo leg brace locked @ 30% for 8wks after my lcl mcl surgery. I absolutely hated it!! I should have gone into a functional brace after that but due to major instibility I couldn't get rid of the full leg brace for another 18 months by that time I absolutely despised it.
Good luck bd
1999 acl mcl recon'
05 knee dilocation acl mcl lcl pcl recon's 80% lateral meniscus removal
06 plc recon' lcl tighened up
Chronic lcl problems(ongoing)
reinjured dec10 mcl grade 2
hamstring tear

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:35:28 AM »
Hey Cathy!

I also had a fulkerson and ligament work 6 months ago.  I was in the lovely black immobilizer for 4 weeks and then put in Don Joy TROM hinged brace for another 7/8 weeks.  I was told I always had to wear a brace because like bd talked about, I had major instability from lose of muscle...   After awhile I just got sick of it and my dr. finally agreed I could attempt not wearing it! :)

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:51:54 AM »
Hi kinnamarie
How are you getting on without the use of the brace now?
I found it very scary to be taken out of the full leg brace, I had become dependent on it, every time I tried my knee would give way.
I eventually downsized to a functional brace I was in that for another 2yrs before I had the confidence tio go without!!
I still use a brace now for hiking & tennis or when my knee's playing up as it is @ the moment.
1999 acl mcl recon'
hamstring tear

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:25:12 AM »
Hey bd1!

I was actually getting so sick of wearing the big hinged brace and was happy to finally not have to wear it everywhere....even if that meant my knee giving way!  I actually had 2 knee surgeries, one in August and then the fulkerson in January.  After the August surgery I was not put into any brace at all so I guess I may have just become accustomed to my knee giving out on me.  :) 
Right now my knee gives out about once a day because my quads are still really weak.  But I have been in PT for almost a year and they have really been working with me and attempting to make me stronger so it gives out less.  I am also not allowed to do sports or any activities yet, so maybe once I get back into that I will wear a small brace just to make sure not to hurt it again! 

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »
I couldn't do anything without the brace as my leg was that weak. I was also on. crutches for nearly 2yrs my knee just wouldn't support me.
So when I eventually got off crutches & put in a smaller functional brace
It was though I wasn't wearing 1 compared to the monster I was in.
Good luck BD
1999 acl mcl recon'
hamstring tear

support