Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ROM advice after TTT and ligament repair?  (Read 843 times)

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ROM advice after TTT and ligament repair?
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:59:16 AM »
I had a Fulkerson TTT and MCL/LCL repair done a little over 4 weeks ago and just got my brace unlocked to 90* on Monday. When I went in today I was able to bend it unassisted between 40* and 45* every time and managed to get it to 47* with the help of a yoga strap. I'm posting because I'm studying abroad this fall and leave on the 29th of August, and I want to have as much range of motion as possible before I leave. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to gently help increase ROM. I know I probably have enough time but I'm starting to freak out anyway because I feel like I'm running out of time. Any suggestions?

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
Re: ROM advice after TTT and ligament repair?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:37:58 AM »
I had a TTT with a MPFL reconstruction and lateral release in January. I, too, had trouble regaining ROM. Here are some tricks my physical therapist tried:

--massage to loosen things up and break up scar tissue
--PNF stretching (my surgeon told him to try it)
--sitting over the table and letting gravity take it
--physical therapists bending it until tears
--wall slides (foot against wall while lying on your back)
--stimulation to get my muscles working into flexion (hamstrings especially)
--it's summer so pool therapy exercises
--lots of icing to get the swelling down as that will interfere. On my EMPI home unit my physical therapist gave me to use for a little while, there was a mode I used to decrease swelling
--make sure you don't sit with your leg out straight
--gait practice so you don't walk with a straight leg
--extension is very important and hard to get back too! Start with prone leg hangs.

Good Luck! Will you be able to continue a therapy program abroad?
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: ROM advice after TTT and ligament repair?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:59:16 AM »
Thank you! I will definitely give some of these a try. I could definitely be icing it more so I'll probably start with that. I pretty much have back all the extension I need/want (I used to hyper-extend so not getting back my original extension is fine with me). What is PNF stretching (I haven't heard of it before)? And I should be able to continue PT abroad. It will depend of which health care I end up being accepted to as far as whether or not the insurance will cover it. If worse comes to worse I'll just work on it on my own.

support