Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI - Inferior aspect of the Patella  (Read 1098 times)

Offline kcowley0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MACI - Inferior aspect of the Patella
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:37:22 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have just come back from my surgeon who has informed me that my most recent MRI indicates that I have "significant chondral wear at the the inferior aspect of the patellar apex and medial patellar facet".
I have had the following knee operations already:

2002        Arthroscopy and medial menisectomy
2003        Arthroscopy and medial menisectomy
2004        Tubercle osteotomy (patellofemoral reconstruction - reallignment)
2005        Arthrpscopy , medial menisectomy and removal of my screws
2011        Arthroscopy and medial menisectomy

The surgeon has said that I now require the MACI procedure as I have significant loss of my cartilage on the lower part of the back of my patella.
He did say thought that the Patella is one of the least successful areas for MACI surgery.
I am only 22 and have had severe knee pain for the past 10 years so I have now got to the point where I am willing to try anything.
I am too young for my knee to get any worse as I won't be eligible for any form of joint replacement for many years.
The first stage is booked for the 21st of July - my birthday  :( - and the second stage is booked for the 7th of September.

QUESTIONS
1.      I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of any success stories from MACI surgery on the patella
2.      Does anyone has any suggestions on what I should do in order to get my knee really strong prior to the surgery.
3.      I plan on going back to work 12 days after my second surgery but don't know whether this is wise. I am an accountant so don't do that much movement during the day.

I look forward to hearing from you  :)

From Kat

support