Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL Stretched?  (Read 6594 times)

Offline stellanora

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL Stretched?
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:22:23 AM »
My son "tweaked" his left knee almost 12 weeks ago. Since that time, he has experienced occasional medial clicking and sometimes a feeling that his knee will give way medially (this is mostly associated with cutting movements while playing soccer). He also has posteromedial pain when he quickly kicks his heel to his butt. He saw his PT and surgeon (he as coming back from right ACL reconstruction) and they concurred that it was just a "tweak" and most likely a minor MCL sprain. When symptoms persisted I requested an MRI which was negative except for "linear myxoid degeneration of the posterior horn(of the medial meniscus)". Because he is still symptomatic and does not feel like he can play "all out", we consulted another surgeon today (had to see the PA, but this is a large and respected sports-ortho office). They said he had a definite tear in the meniscus and some laxity, but a firm endpoint in the MCL. They did say the tear could be trimmed as opposed to repaired, which is what we prefer as son intends to play soccer in college  in a few months. Recovery time will be 4-6 weeks which is what we were expecting. What I am concerned with is the "stretched" MCL. Will this tighten up on it's own? The PA said to do strengthening; I did not think to ask for a PT order. I read  online that biking was excellent for this and my husband (who has much experience rehabbing his own knee injuries also said to bike). Any thoughts on this? Will the MCL tighten back up. Son never experienced much pain and no swelling, so I doubt there was ever even a grade II type injury.

Offline Grf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: MCL Stretched?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
I actually have the same ptoblem after injury there was not much pain and no swelling but i feel this unstability in knee maybe some one experienced the same and how did this end up?

Offline healingup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: MCL Stretched?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »
I have the same question, see the old thread "MCL lack of healing? Any Opinions"

support