Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: smashed patella and severed tendons, healing time  (Read 1260 times)

Offline jacksonBrown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
smashed patella and severed tendons, healing time
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:41 PM »
hi everyone this is my first post i'm just looking for a little bit of info about my knee i was in a off road motor bike accident where i went knee first into a big boulder at about 30kms an hour i smashed the patella into 9 peices as you can guess they were unable to put it back together so they removed 70% of it and reattached the tendons to wat was left of my knee cap.

i was put in a leg brace and told to wear it for 6 weeks, i was able to walk on my leg within days of the surgery but i just couldn't bend it for six weeks, its now 7 weeks post operation and i've had the brace off my leg for 1 week now, my knee is very stiff i can only bend it a little bit about 5 or 10 degrees max i've had physio and have been doing my exercises but the knee doesn't seem to be getting any better its so stiff the tendons are very tight and just bending my knee alittle bit feels like i'm stretching my tendons to the max,

can anyone tell me if this is normal and how long i'm looking at before i can bend my knee completely again i've also had a huge loss of muscle mass on my muscle above my knee its shrunk to about half the size of my other just from not being able to bend my knee.

any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: smashed patella and severed tendons, healing time
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
That sounds about right.  You are in for a long recovery so prepare yourself for it and don't expect to be 100% for at least a year.  Keep working on the PT and you will get better.  It will just take a good amount of time and effort.
11/29/2010 Lateral Release left knee
1/2011 Cortizone injection left knee
4/1/2011 Lateral Release right knee
5-6/2011 Supartz injection series (5)
12/12/2011 TTT and Lateral Release repair left knee

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: smashed patella and severed tendons, healing time
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
I'd had a repair of my crushed patella and began PT two weeks ago.  My knee felt like a raw potato - hard and inflexible.  I've been massaging the knee and doing PT religiously and am getting some knee bend - slowly.  After we added exercises in a warm (93 degrees) water pool, I found I was able to progress better.  You can do so much more in the water, and especially in therapeutically warm water.  I'm in it daily.

Check to see if a health club or sports clinic has one; and run it by your PT. 

good luck and keep moving.

SJS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

support