Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: BAH, information needed on a Medial Right Patella Plication  (Read 933 times)

rumseyl

Hey all, so this is my first time posting here and I have some questions about my surgery that I've just recently had. I don't know if any of you have heard of a Medial Right Patella Plication, but that is what I just had done. My Surgeon said he would like to try this procedure before an ACL reconstruction and it is usually successful and less intense, and the recovery time is significantly less. However, this surgery isn't very common and I am having a difficult time finding any information on it at all. All I really know about it is that it is to correct the subaxulation of the patella that I have been suffering from that, unfortunately, a lateral release and arthroscopy could not correct. I am in the phase of starting physio therapy and am kind of wondering what all the surgery itself encompassed and what I can expect for the rest, and most important part, of my recovery. What is the pain going to be like, what sort of approximate goal marks should I be looking for? About how long am I going to be in physio therapy rebuilding my ROM and knee strength? If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate your input as I am kind of in the dark about this, and am looking to know what to expect, and what to avoid.

Lisa
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:35:32 PM by rumseyl »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: BAH, information needed on a Medial Right Patella Plication
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I am not sure if medial plica excision is the same type of surgery that you have had, as you mention medial right patella plication which might be another type of knee surgery to what I had done. I had my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed and took 18 months to fully recover from the surgery. Also dry needling IMS worked well for me after I had my surgery.

Yours sounds more like maltracking problems and had lateral release that failed and think the next type of surgery is TTT which is a common type of knee surgery.

Tibial tuberosity transfer is a surgical procedure involving cutting the bony mump below the kneecap (the tibial tuberosity) and either moving it or re-angling it.

There are a number of different procedures - some involve moving the tibial tubercle (the bony lump on the shinbone (tibia) a couple of inches below the kneecap - the bony point at which the kneecap tendon (patellar tendon) joins onto the tibia) and some involve pulling the kneecap itself by changing the forces through the tendons.

The different procedures generally carry the names of the surgeons who first described and promoted them: Fulkerson, Elmslie-Trillat, Maquet.

Has this type of surgery been mentioned to you by your OS as it the next type of surgery if LR has failed!

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

rumseyl

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
Hey Nick:

Thanks so much for answering!!! The TTT was not mentioned by my surgeon. I can tell you that the lateral release did fail, and that he gave me the option of doing the medial plication or an ACL reconstruction. I opted for the plication because his success rates were high and the post surgery recovery time was considerably less. And as we all know, recovery time is really only the time till you can walk brace free again hahaha. So I was hoping someone would be able to give me more info on this since I have had it done and I'm trying to gauge what to expect progress, healing, and challenge wise. I'll have to look more into the TTT, but while it sounds like it may be similar I'm not positive yet due to my lack of information on what exactly a TTT is. Not only that but my surgeon also told me that the procedure I had is not that common, but in my experience what one surgeon finds uncommon another may find everyday lol. But if you have anymore information to share it would be appreciated. And how is your knee doing now?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Lateral release very often fails and is a hit and miss surgery and can often end up making the knee problem even worse. LR and TTT are a routine surgery these days and many members on KG have had these procedures, so must be a fairly common type of surgery.

My right knee is doing really well and was unable to run for over 3 and a half years and my knee felt worse post op then it did pre op. My knee was too painful to squat and kneel down until I had IMS sessions, dry needling and felt the benefits straight away. I have had 4 sessions so far and can now run again and squat with hardly any knee pain. It took 18 months post op until my knee felt good again and want to compete in a half marathon next year!

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

rumseyl

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »
Hey Nick:

So as it turns out this isn't quite like a TTT, but although its not common its slightly less intense than a ACL reconstruction. The physio therapist keeps telling me to be patient and work on the strength, the rest will come back with time. They can't really give me much of a time frame since this isn't an everyday surgery and they don't see it too often but she said sooner or later if I follow the game plan I should be good as gold!

I hope you do great on your marathon next year, and congrats on running again. Just goes to show that keeping options open and being persistent with trying different healing techniques can pay off. I appreciate your help, and hope all goes well for you. And I hope that eventually all that knee pain goes away, and your most recent procedure sticks the way it should.