Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: problems after acl reconstruction - hamstring graft  (Read 1093 times)

Offline ian2342

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
problems after acl reconstruction - hamstring graft
« on: June 25, 2011, 12:57:31 AM »
I had an acl reconstruction on may 26th using hamstring graft.
The first week of rehab went well and i could bend my knee to about 90 degrees and almost flatten it, and could walk without crutches for 5 mins without much problem.
Then i may have overdone it and walked a bit to far and my knee started aching alot and swelled up quite abit.  after putting ice on it and resting it for a day the pain went and the swelling back to what it was before.
since then though i am having loads of problems doing the exercises my physio has given me. The main problem is when i am sat on my bed, legs hanging off side and then try to slowly straighten my leg i get loads of pain at front of my knee and under my knee cap.
I also struugled to walk without crutches for the next 2 weeks.
It is now over 4 weeks since my op and im still having this problem and it hasnt improved at all and if anything it is getting worse.
I could do that exercise without hardly any pain for the first week after my op untill i over did it.
I can still flatten my leg and bend it to about 120 degrees.

Im now starting to get really worried that iv done more damage to my knee. help.

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
Re: problems after acl reconstruction - hamstring graft
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
Has your PT given you any insight to what they think the problem may be?  I had ACLr with hamstring graft as well.  If you are continuing to have these problems this long after "over doing it", you may want to contact your OS.  They have a vested interest in your knee and recovery.  Have your surgeon check it out to make sure you have not done something in there.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline ian2342

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
Not really. He's just said that iv got swelling under my knee cap and thats pushing the knee cap out of position causing the pain. But he also said it should improve after a week or 2.
I only get to see him once a week in a class with 5-10 other people so its hard to get any answers off him.
Iv got an appointment with my surgeon in anouther 4 weeks, and when i tried to get an earlier one thet said there was none left.

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
Fluid under the knee cap would certainly give you that feeling.  Until you can get a proper examination done, you should ice and elevate as much as you can.  Compression is good for swelling and support as well.  You could always try to see your GP in the meantime.  It might be helpful to have him/her take a look at it.  They might try you on some anti inflammatory medication as well.  I would certainly want someone to take a look.  It might just give you some peace of mind as well.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

support