Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Medial Meniscectomy and OA prevention  (Read 1070 times)

Offline BEdZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Partial Medial Meniscectomy and OA prevention
« on: November 17, 2003, 09:27:29 PM »
I have undergone a partial medial meniscectomy in my right knee in which a substantial portion of the meniscus was removed.  On Wednesday, I once again go under the scope to have a partial medial meniscectomy on my left knee.  

I am a very active, healthy 24 year old male and very very concerned about cartilage loss and the development of osteoarthritis in my later years(http://www.jrheum.com/abstracts/abstracts02/1954.html).  

What can be done to prevent OA?  

Thanks

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Partial Medial Meniscectomy and OA prevention
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 04:57:44 AM »
You can't really prevent it. If it's going to happen it will happen. You can keep your knee strong and mobile and prolong the life of your knee though. I had my meniscus removed a piece at a time and now have arthritis. But I have pedaled many miles on my bikes and I believe it has prolonged the life of my knee. You should also stay away from high impact sports like running if you can help it.

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Partial Medial Meniscectomy and OA prevention
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 09:36:12 PM »
Of course keep your muscles strong and avoid whatever high impact activities you can.   (I quit running because I used to just do it for the exercise - switched to bikes, hiking and elliptical trainers.)  

The other thing is to talk to your doctor to see if you should use a brace for any of your activities.   Depending on the amount and location of meniscus removed you could have some laxity in your knee.   You didn't say what you do, but after my partial medial menisectomy my OS prescribed a Donjoy Defiance for me to use for skiing, dirt biking, and racing DH mountain bikes.   Other activities he said I don't need it.    I have had no problems with the brace - it doesn't interfere with movement and I don't even notice that it's there when I'm skiing or riding.    Not that it can prevent all further injuries, but it doesn't hurt to have.     Worth asking about - my insurance covered 100%.

Anyway, I'd say you should sit down with your OS, evaluate the activities you participate in - should you use a brace?   Should you modify any of your activities?   (Not that I would say you should have to cut out any sports, but you should at least know the risks involved.)
Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03